Duo Locks Determining the right size

What size duo-locks do you guys recommend for stick baits  and the smaller walleye spoons, I would like to experiment with different more stealthy approaches this year with out sacrificing my lure action, whether the locks being to big and deterring the action of the lures or the opposite being to small and not letting the lure act itself. Any input towards this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks PAP 

If you really want to go stealthy try tying them on, there is really no need for a snap only for changing baits and retying only takes a minute. Only need swivels for spoons.

Edited by Hooked on Kings

If you really want to go stealthy try tying them on, there is really no need for a snap only for changing baits and retying only takes a minute. Only need swivels for spoons.

Yea, I realize that would be the best approach, but when you figure out a lure or color that is working and 6 poles out it would be nice to be able to switch over without retying every line. My thought was to use a 50ft fluro. leader attached to the main line with a Spro swivel small enough to fit through the eyes on my poles and can be reeled onto my reel and just use a duo to attach the lure, and I really don't know what size to use that won't be overkill or on the other hand be to small and not allow the lure to work properly or isn't this really an issue?, they claim swivels directly to the lure kills its action 

It seems I have had more trouble when water is clear catching browns, I tie my stick baits on and use a #1 coastlock on all spoons. I did use the swivels on the sticks but found we got more action when we started tying them on. I have not used the snaps so not sure if they effect the action or not. 

Why the 50' leader? I use 10' fluoro leaders with 20# Rosco snaps on the end and use sampo ball bearing inline swivels to connect leader to mainline. This combo works well for sensitive lures like Sutton flutter lures as well as just about everything else i troll with. http://www.roscoinc.com/fishing-tackle/product-detail/american-made-stainless-steel-duo-lock-snap

Why the 50' leader? I use 10' fluoro leaders with 20# Rosco snaps on the end and use sampo ball bearing inline swivels to connect leader to mainline. This combo works well for sensitive lures like Sutton flutter lures as well as just about everything else i troll with. http://www.roscoinc.com/fishing-tackle/product-detail/american-made-stainless-steel-duo-lock-snap

Yep. 10lb mono clean, 12lb mono clean, 15lb mono w 10lb fluoro leaders...

Pap - Zack is right unless you are real partial to an extra long fluoro leader for some reason 8 or 10 ft is really sufficient for this purpose. I use a Spro #8 swivel connecting mainline to leader to prevent twisting.

Edited by Sk8man

7/16 or 9/16 (or smaller too) in black will work Pap

Agree, I have some of both, however, I find the smaller ones to quite a PITA to open and close without using a needle nose.

Cabelas has em in a 72 pack for a pretty good price.

Good point Tim and that is for the stronger ones that you want (especially in the smaller sizes)...different manufacturers make the with different strength wire and some are quite "flimsy" (thinner and softer wire). I've had good luck with the ones from Cabelas too.

I use the Cabela's 7/16 snaps rated at 35lbs, combined with the #10 Spro power swivel, also at 35lbs...... great combo for spring, then change out to the 9/16 snaps  later in the year for the 'riggers

Thanks to all that posted their thoughts, I will shorten up my leaders and use the sizes that were recommended. I never used a fluro. leader before and spooled six reels with Power Pro 30# 8# dia. so I definitely need the leaders this year. Cabelas, at the Hamburg store has a incredible sale going on starting this Thursday and will be getting the last of my needs thanks to the folks on this great site, this year will be a great year for me to fish Lake O and really looking forward to it. I think by reading all the posts on here with this LONG winter I learned more than I have all my fishing years!! I can't thank those folks that helped me out with a lot of questions and got answered by well informed and experienced fishermen. I feel like I have a lot of self confidence in my self, now that I understand the "how to" Good luck to all and be safe on the water. PAP.