Electrical question

BALLS DEEP

I put my boat in the water today started it up and tried to turn on my lights and accessories. I have a battery selector switch that was on both position. When I started flipping switches I didn't get anything. So I checked to see if the terminals were tight and a few other things. After that I started turning the selector switch to different positions. The only the position that would keep all of my accessories on was the off position. Does anyone know what may be wrong? I was thinking the selector switch is the problem but wanted to get a few opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds like you may have disconnected your batteries over the winter and you have a wire on the wrong post. In my honest opinion .... I have seen this before. Worth looking at if you did have the batteries our for winter storage. Good luck bud

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Before I removed them in the fall I labeled all of the wires. And also this is my second time out this year and the first time everything was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You didn't flip the switch as the boat was running did you?  That is a BIG no no, if you did you likely need a new switch and could damage the electronics on the motor if you continue to do it that way.

Edited by Chas0218

Check & double check ALL the wiring to the batteries,  especially the negative post connections before you go much farther. You might have missed one or have a loose connector / corrosion. Many a dollar has been spent needlessly for a simple connection causing feed back.

There are two types of selector switches. A simple one and a switch that has an alternator disconnect switch installed that removes the alternator before shutting off the battery. The alternator diodes blow out if the engine is running and you throw the simple switch to off when it reads 0 voltage and surges a bunch of amps through the diodes destroying them and your alternator.

• 1 month later...