Hello from Ontario new kayak fisherman

Welcome. 

You'll find there's a number of avid kayak fisherman here. In fact, I've already seen one posting brown trout caught in Lake Ontario, off Webster Park. Too cold for me - I prefer more boat under me when the water's only 35 degrees!

Try this forum too - a few of us are on both: http://wnykfa.fishgator.com/index

I got into kayaking last summer, and have been sticking to the Finger lakes; not brave enough yet to try the big O.

Jigging and pulling cowbells have been pretty effective for lakers.  Look to get out this weekend or next week to try for browns not that the ice is finally breaking up.   

Try this forum too - a few of us are on both: http://wnykfa.fishgator.com/index

How active it that forum ?  poked around a bit last night, and didn't seem to be alot of recent post.  I did attempt to register using Facebook accounts, but still shows as pending approval.

Well Im likely going to get a boat next week and would love to get out with someone that has a bit of exp. Id like to ask a bunch of question about what you wear etc etc...I can get out often and am very self sufficient otherwise.

I got into kayaking last summer, and have been sticking to the Finger lakes; not brave enough yet to try the big O.

Jigging and pulling cowbells have been pretty effective for lakers.  Look to get out this weekend or next week to try for browns not that the ice is finally breaking up.   

How active it that forum ?  poked around a bit last night, and didn't seem to be alot of recent post.  I did attempt to register using Facebook accounts, but still shows as pending approval.

I don't think it gets much use outside of the warmer season but you'll see at least Jude, Paul and Kevin put something up now and then. The group had a display at the local sports show last year too.

I work on a charter and got a kick out of the clients last summer when we passed Jude in his kayak - over 150' of water off Sandy Creek! He does pretty good too...

Well Im likely going to get a boat next week and would love to get out with someone that has a bit of exp. Id like to ask a bunch of question about what you wear etc etc...I can get out often and am very self sufficient otherwise.

I'm not particularly experienced and don't get out as often as I'd like. I'd recommend searching "kayak" to see what LOU members are using them and send a Private Message. Also, I've always found both kayak shops on Irondequoit Bay to be friendly and helpful.

Fishing in a kayak is very similar to fishing in a "real" boat in some ways but is much different in other ways. Especially in safety considerations. I have been kayak fishing for about seven years in small lakes, Lake O and salt water. Feel free to send a private message if you have specific questions about kayak fishing.