Getting ready to wax the boat

A few years ago my buddy compounded And buffed my boat and it shined up real nice. I've been waxing it every year since, but was just wondering if one wax is better than another ?

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was told years ago not to use auto. wax on a boat , use a good marine wax, also if you use rubbing compound  don't rub too hard it may damage the gel coat which makes it look like oxidation after a couple of years.  Was told this info. by a car/boat detailer.

if oxidation is bad you will need to rub it out with compound and buffer.i use 3m,which local napa store carries.i stongly recommend collinite wax,marine and aironautics wax,stuff is great,easy to work with and shines great,but dont think it will last forever,you will need to wax every year.

I actually ended up wet sanding (400 grit or 320 I think) the severe oxidation spots on my boat then rubbing compound and lastly waxed it took me the better half of a week but the results were great.

Edited by Chas0218

You might want to try Attwood Premium Cleaner Wax which restores/rejuvenates color and waxes too. You only do small areas at a time but it does a good job of removing oxidation and black marks and minor scratches without damaging the gel coat and is not nearly as abrasive as rubbing compound. It can be found in department stores with boating sections (e.g. Walmart) and is only about $10 or so. Once I have a good coat on I maintain it by using the manual car wash downtown after every time out.

Edited by Sk8man

Amazon.com has Collinite marine wax also. Just purchased a bottle Wednesday. Also, Advanced Auto carries it but both stores in Auburn were out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am in Oswego county, are there any retailers for collinite wax in the area ? Thanks

I am in Oswego county, are there any retailers for collinite wax in the area ? Thanks

West Marine carries Collinite