taking kids fishing and number of rods?

I have twins that ask about fishing all the time and I have buddies with kids that want to fish as well.  If I took 1 of them could I legally run 6 rods or only my 3 because I am the only 1 with a license?  Thanks for the help.

6 they aren't required by law to have a license until the age of 16 but can still fish.  With that being said I don't think you could get away with running 6 if the child/toddler was not able to physically stand or reel.

Edited by Chas0218

Thanks Chas,

They can stand and reel without any trouble with panfish etc... They each "caught" a perch ice fishing this winter.  May try to get them a trout this summer!

You can run six. Nobody would bother you.

Last year I had my twin daughters up and we got checked for the normal boating safety things and he commented on the good life vests I had on the girls, I had my uncles 16ft boat and we were in the Black River and only using 1 pole per person, I asked the coast guard official, next year I plan to have my boat together for the lake and would the girls age 9 be able to run more than 1 pole per person, and this is what he told me, anyone fishing with a licensed or under age of a license may operate 3 rods per person. I'm not sure if that's right or not, as how could a child operate 3 rods on their own. At first he did seem to be reluctant to say yes, so he threw what he said at me?? Really if I have 2 licensed adults and the girls 8 rods is enough for me anyway.

The NYS says "3 lines per person".  It doesn't say anything about an age minimum.  There is also a law about all lines being "attended".  So bottom line (pun intended) is to use your common sense.  If your child can handle a rod and reel it in then yes he/she is entitled to run 3 lines. (rods) 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Will gladly untangle as many as it takes to see the huge :) :smile:

DJ is it amazing the patience you have with your own kids with stuff like this, yet nothing pi$$es me off more than when we tangle with all adults or supposed to be, aboard!!!  :shake:

Pap,

I have taught for the past 15 years and most of the time chalk it up to this: If you talk with them and not down to them KIDS LISTEN BETTER than adults :headbang: :headbang:  

Charter guys can probably chime in with a million stories of trying to tell and adult the right way to do things only to watch them do it totally wrong because they saw Kevin VanDamn do it "the right way" on TV 8) .   Same old saying "Don't guide the guide" :yes:

Pap,

I have taught for the past 15 years and most of the time chalk it up to this: If you talk with them and not down to them KIDS LISTEN BETTER than adults :headbang: :headbang:  

Charter guys can probably chime in with a million stories of trying to tell and adult the right way to do things only to watch them do it totally wrong because they saw Kevin VanDamn do it "the right way" on TV 8) .   Same old saying "Don't guide the guide" :yes:

Yea, all you teachers out there are a special kind, :yes:  My wife is a teacher for 28 years and 23 years of Special ED.