Yet another kicker...LOL

YodaMage

So the tub is getting pulled out this weekend and the projects to get done on it pre 5/1 launch are:

-New Temp Gauge (old one fried)

-New Bilge Pumps (just because...maintenance)

-New Carburetor on Main (Some stalling and hesitation last year I believe related to gummy jets and floats)

-New Kicker Motor

-Kicker Steering to Helm

-Kicker Throttle to Helm

Next year I'm pulling all hoses and fuel lines and replacing. Always something...bust out another...

Anyway, I ordered a Mercury Bigfoot 9.9 and already have an OMC bracket on the stern. What I'm working through now are steering and throttle options. The main is an I/O so steering is limited by my research right now to Trol-Eze, Panther and Powrtran. The first issue there is that the control length for all of them is 20 or 25 feet which is not long enough to get from kicker to helm on my boat. 40' is required. I have emails out to Trol-Eze and Panther/Trollmaster about that now. Anybody else run into this? Any of those three have a throttle solution but I've heard that Trollmaster does not hold/resume speed correctly. I've also heard that the Panther t4 and t5 units like to self destruct. 

Anyone have any input, advise or experience to share? Right now, I'm thinking that I might try the Trol-Eze 2 with throttle first if I can get the cords long enough and see what happens but I'm working semi-blind.

So in case anyone is interested... 

I also looked into IntelliSteer which isn't a bad system. It minimizes some of the negatives of Panther design hanging out in the elements..but still has an electric motor dependency I don't love.

I got an email back from Marine Tech Products and they can't extend the controls anyway for a Panther I'm told.

I spoke a couple of times via phone and email to Chuck Goetz at Goetz engineering and he was very knowledgeable and helpful. This week they'll be shipping me a Trol-Eze setup with extended controls. 

It does sound like Marine Tech can handle the throttle extension so I'm ordering a TrollMaster Pro2 with extended length. 

My 19ft  islander used the wireless powrtran unit for my T9 kicker and was pretty sweet! I could steer that thing from a small key fob anywhere on the boat or at the helm (wireless key was optional). Then I just used a control king for throttle control. All i know is that controlling the kicker from my hip with a button was awesome. Def. made solo trips easier.