Alpha one outdrive help!

NickR

I have an 86 4.3 paired with an alpha one and have a leak at the upper shift shaft. Instead of swapping out that one seal that would probably take me a half hour I want to possibly do everything- gimble, bellows, etc. while I'm in there. I am a mechanic so it wouldn't be an issue for me to do it but it would be awesome if anyone on here that knows these things well would talk to me about any tips or tricks that would make my life easier.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hi Nickr, I have a 2000 alpha 1 gen 2 so its a bit different. I replaced all the rubber last spring. There is a lot of procedures you have to follow. I would recommend you get  a good shop manual for your exact unit. follow it step by step. there are a few specialized tools you will need as well.

Agreed- a manual is best it's got lots of pictures! You'll need the mercury hinge pin tool. Just went through this whole effort on a '90 alpha 1. Fun stuff. I didn't use the bellow installation tool.

The job isn't really too bad but a second set of hands are needed at times. Good call just doing everything so you know you're covered. Get the full kit with a new shift cable too. Might as well. Oh yea you need some mercury bellow adhesive. Don't know why that's not included in the kit (the one I got anyway).

Good luck... And hurry!! It's time to fish!

Edited by FleetTracker

If you cannot find a manual,there is always Youtube. There are a lot of videos on there showing exactly what you want to do.

The best idea is to take it to L&M in Port bay and have Hank do it for you while you watch. He is quite friendly and he will teach you the right way to do it.

It is worth the trip and the money you pay Hank.

Edited by rolmops

I bought every damn seal bearing and sensor in the stern today from a guy in Tampa for 300 bucks- he threw in a cd with all of the merc service guides as well so that won't be a problem. I've also been looking all over YouTube and it doesn't seem bad at all besides finding the special tools.

Thanks for all of the comments! I hope i can get her back in the water by Saturday- my Wilson trip is sneaking up FAST and don't have any of my "fishing" upgrades done! Lol panic mode is starting to set in

• 3 weeks later...