I have to say, entres dont go down because the loc is a top notch event. Dave will get my money this year. It is the best derby for us weekenders. It is just like buyin a in the ground ticket. It doesnt cost more than a weeks food bill. I was lucky enought to be in on a spring winner a few years ago and Dave and his crew made it a huge affair for all. I have not been in the money since. We have a rule on our boat when loc fishing. We look at last years results and our fish has to be within three lbs of last years winner to weigh it. This applies to lakers(sheep trout.) East of ollcott is out east to me. Rochester is 75 miles east of me. Just to clear the air.

I have to say, entres dont go down because the loc is a top notch event. Dave will get my money this year. It is the best derby for us weekenders. It is just like buyin a in the ground ticket. It doesnt cost more than a weeks food bill. I was lucky enought to be in on a spring winner a few years ago and Dave and his crew made it a huge affair for all. I have not been in the money since. We have a rule on our boat when loc fishing. We look at last years results and our fish has to be within three lbs of last years winner to weigh it. This applies to lakers(sheep trout.) East of ollcott is out east to me. Rochester is 75 miles east of me. Just to clear the air.

I consider Mexico bay the east end. The LOC is a top notch derby and its not stopping me from getting a ticket. But it has it's flaws...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The thing I dont get is its Lake Ontario Counties Trout and Salmon Derbies, so I dont understand why a Laker that out weighs a King loses grand prize spot.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The thing I dont get is its Lake Ontario Counties Trout and Salmon Derbies, so I dont understand why a Laker that out weighs a King loses grand prize spot.

Exactly. Might as well call it "Lake Ontario Counties Salmon and to hell with anything else that could win grand prize".

I mean Lake Trout is a part of the Char family but still they can grow as big or bigger than Kings so I still dont understand why that rule is put into place the Grand Prize fish should be the biggest fish out of all 5 species you can place in the Tourney Salmon, Lake Trout, Brown Trout, Steelhead, and Walleye

Here's my .02 on the LOC....Mr.Chilson runs this tournament as a business....he's entitled to run the business any way he sees fit. We all pay and enter and we should all know the rules before entering....if you don't like the rules, don't enter! I for one, am in no position to tell a guy how he can run a business, nor will I get on the internet, stomp my feet and shake my fist in the air over this. If this new format doesn't work, I'm sure changes will made. There are a ton of other tourneys on the lake. If the LOC isn't your cup of tea, then I'm sure there's one around that will be somewhat appealing. Tight lines....

Sent from my VS920 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Here's my .02 on the LOC....Mr.Chilson runs this tournament as a business....he's entitled to run the business any way he sees fit. We all pay and enter and we should all know the rules before entering....if you don't like the rules, don't enter! I for one, am in no position to tell a guy how he can run a business, nor will I get on the internet, stomp my feet and shake my fist in the air over this. If this new format doesn't work, I'm sure changes will made. There are a ton of other tourneys on the lake. If the LOC isn't your cup of tea, then I'm sure there's one around that will be somewhat appealing. Tight lines....

That is what we are saying. If the changes don't work, then more changes will come. No one is discriminating his business or how he runs it or the derby itself.

All about.....not saying this about you at all... There are guys who have constantly whined about the rule change since it was announced... It is what it is. We either accept it and enter anyway, or save your entry fee....I compare it to the new Pro Am format. I personally hate the new prize set up, so in turn I don't fish em. The Lake Derby has definitely evolved from when I fished the very first ESLO in the 70s to the current LOC....the jury is still out for me on the new format.

All about.....not saying this about you at all... There are guys who have constantly whined about the rule change since it was announced... It is what it is. We either accept it and enter anyway, or save your entry fee....I compare it to the new Pro Am format. I personally hate the new prize set up, so in turn I don't fish em. The Lake Derby has definitely evolved from when I fished the very first ESLO in the 70s to the current LOC....the jury is still out for me on the new format.

There are always going to be two sides to a debate. Some people like it, some people don't. But this lake defiantly has potential for a derby winner laker or something else to knock a king out. You never know, but that rule is irrelevant and should not apply to any derby or competition- my $.02

Come on Matt, you know of Dave took the brown trout division out you would be making a stink.

Spring Loc derby has 5 divisions , I would love to see biggest fish win. A higher limit to weigh lake trout would be nice 18lbs , last couple years think u needed a 18 to make board. Quit the 11 lbs people bring in to weigh from dying. U see them in the garbage cans at launch or on rd. Driving home.

Records:

Rainbow -31.3oz Niagara

Lake trout- 41.8 oz Erie

Brown trout 33.2 oz oswego

Chinook 47.13 oz Oswego

Coho. 33.7oz Oswego

Atlantic salmon 24. 15 oz wayne

Anyone of these fish could win a spring derby. If you read rule 25 # on loc website

It does stat Chinook coho and Atlantic are all in same divisions. So this year when no kings are caught a 20lb Atlantic could beat ur 30 lb lake trout! Troll the shoreline!!

Spring Loc derby has 5 divisions , I would love to see biggest fish win. A higher limit to weigh lake trout would be nice 18lbs , last couple years think u needed a 18 to make board. Quit the 11 lbs people bring in to weigh from dying. U see them in the garbage cans at launch or on rd. Driving home.

Records:

Rainbow -31.3oz Niagara

Lake trout- 41.8 oz Erie

Brown trout 33.2 oz oswego

Chinook 47.13 oz Oswego

Coho. 33.7oz Oswego

Atlantic salmon 24. 15 oz wayne

Anyone of these fish could win a spring derby. If you read rule 25 # on loc website

It does stat Chinook coho and Atlantic are all in same divisions. So this year when no kings are caught a 20lb Atlantic could beat ur 30 lb lake trout! Troll the shoreline!!

No kidding! What is the derby going to be if this year is screwed up too? What if the salmon are no where to be found in numbers or size?

No kidding! What is the derby going to be if this year is screwed up too? What if the salmon are no where to be found in numbers or size?

Every open slot in the salmon division goes right to Dave Chilsons pocket. In the past spring derbies, the steelhead division would not fill and he pocketed the money. Since he doubled the money in the salmon division, Dave is going to pocket a nice chunk of change if the salmon don't show up until after the derby. If it is a guaranteed pay out, the money should still be payed out. The Orleans county derby splits the money up in the division if all the places are not filled.

Every open slot in the salmon division goes right to Dave Chilsons pocket. In the past spring derbies, the steelhead division would not fill and he pocketed the money. Since he doubled the money in the salmon division, Dave is going to pocket a nice chunk of change if the salmon don't show up until after the derby. If it is a guaranteed pay out, the money should still be payed out. The Orleans county derby splits the money up in the division if all the places are not filled.

Thanks again Gambler. That makes me laugh even more. I'll be laughing EVEN HARDER when salmon are not found anywhere and lots of people may be unhappy if a 35 lb laker can not win grand prize or any of the others, you never know. There are plenty of trophies other than king salmon in the lake that don't get acknowledgment in events like this. If I caught a laker that could win grand prize, i wouldn't be happy that it couldn't. Even though I could win first place in the laker division.

#1 if you guys want to fill the Salmon board this Spring it can be done easily. Even on a Spring like this. They are out there, but you have to go to them, and you can't be the proud owner of a felony! A lot of you guys travel from far away to get to the bar in the Spring. Whats another 20 miles West at that point?

#2 As far as the money not paid out for the Spring Derby goes......It's Dave's prerogative what he does. The derby is his business. I'm sure you wouldn't like someone telling you what to do with your business, or smashing your business on forums because they don't agree with your business model. As with all businesses if you like the way the owner runs them you support them. If you don't agree with their business model you don't support them. 

#1 if you guys want to fill the Salmon board this Spring it can be done easily. Even on a Spring like this. They are out there, but you have to go to them, and you can't be the proud owner of a felony! A lot of you guys travel from far away to get to the bar in the Spring. Whats another 20 miles West at that point?

#2 As far as the money not paid out for the Spring Derby goes......It's Dave's prerogative what he does. The derby is his business. I'm sure you wouldn't like someone telling you what to do with your business, or smashing your business on forums because they don't agree with your business model. As with all businesses if you like the way the owner runs them you support them. If you don't agree with their business model you don't support them. [/

quote]

No one is smashing him really. Just stating our opinions, because we have as much right to it as you. Again, not everyone is going to like his decisions, or yours, or mine. That's part of life and fishing all together. Nothing new.

The push is to promote the king fishery. Why not promote ALL of the world class species we have in Lake Ontario? The trout fishery holds the fishery together when the salmon fishing is tough or non existent.

Most people don't come to this Lake for anything but the King Salmon. Don't agree? Then why are all the charter boats sitting idle right now? The Brown fishing is amazing in April, but guys can't get the business. We bust our butt promoting the Brown fishing in April, and just barely get our trips each Spring. Yes, there are a lot of trophy fish in the Lake, but they are called the King for a reason!

In my honest opinion do you think it would say much for the tourism on Lake Ontario when other fish are bigger than the all mighty King in these derbies? If word got out on the internet, which it can very very fast, that they weren't "The King" anymore that might hurt a lot of businesses. Again, this is just my opinion.

Most people don't come to this Lake for anything but the King Salmon. Don't agree? Then why are all the charter boats sitting idle right now? The Brown fishing is amazing in April, but guys can't get the business. We bust our butt promoting the Brown fishing in April, and just barely get our trips each Spring. Yes, there are a lot of trophy fish in the Lake, but they are called the King for a reason!

In my honest opinion do you think it would say much for the tourism on Lake Ontario when other fish are bigger than the all mighty King in these derbies? If word got out on the internet, which it can very very fast, that they weren't "The King" anymore that might hurt a lot of businesses. Again, this is just my opinion.

Not true Rick. The Middle and east end of the lake survives on trout fishing until the kings show up. If what you are saying was true, there would be no charters on the middle/ east end until July/August. There are clients that come only for the trout. When I worked for Sam Datillo, he had clients from Massachusetts, Maine and Pennsylvania that came just for browns and lakers. One group of guys came for the fall derby just to laker fish. Chilson changed the derby because the same people were winning money in the laker division and the opinions of a couple narrow minded salmon fishermen. It is his right to change what ever he wants but last time I checked, I still have a right to my opinion.

Right now, I don't hear many people talking about the terrific king salmon fishing on the east end. They are here for trout, why else are there tons of boats out there trolling the shore. Not for kings I can guarantee. I guess you would have to be on the east end once in a while for your "opinion" to have even a little bit of truth to it.

Not true Rick. The Middle and east end of the lake survives on trout fishing until the kings show up. If what you are saying was true, there would be no charters on the middle/ east end until July/August. There are clients that come only for the trout. When I worked for Sam Datillo, he had clients from Massachusetts, Maine and Pennsylvania that came just for browns and lakers. One group of guys came for the fall derby just to laker fish. Chilson changed the derby because the same people were winning money in the laker division and the opinions of a couple narrow minded salmon fishermen. It is his right to change what ever he wants but last time I checked, I still have a right to my opinion.

It is true Brian! You don't make it out East Spring through early Summer. Those guys aren't running. I don't know how many days the only boats out of Oswego are the Cold Steel and Hat Trick. The rest of the fleet is floating waiting for July, August, and September to come around. If you market your business right you can get people to come catch other species. Hell, I'm selling Salmon/Lake Trout charters for this coming September!!!! 

The King is the fish that attracts people to Lake Ontario. The rest of the fish are just a bonus!

It is true Brian! You don't make it out East Spring through early Summer. Those guys aren't running. I don't know how many days the only boats out of Oswego are the Cold Steel and Hat Trick. The rest of the fleet is floating waiting for July, August, and September to come around. If you market your business right you can get people to come catch other species. Hell, I'm selling Salmon/Lake Trout charters for this coming September!!!!

The King is the fish that attracts people to Lake Ontario. The rest of the fish are just a bonus!

Spring through the early summer they are waiting for kings and fishing for browns while waiting. If they didn't make money during that time, why would they offer it or even out their boat in? You can't base two charters on everyone on the east end.