Right now, I don't hear many people talking about the terrific king salmon fishing on the east end. They are here for trout, why else are there tons of boats out there trolling the shore. Not for kings I can guarantee. I guess you would have to be on the east end once in a while for your "opinion" to have even a little bit of truth to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Those are the die hard trollers out there with severe Cabin Fever. The crowds on the East end don't get there until July. I've fished that end of the Lake a lot, and have many friends on that end of the lake. As a matter of fact I've fished more of this Lake than 95% of the people that fish this Lake. For both warm and cold water species.

You're kidding yourself if you think THE MAJORITY of people are coming to Lake Ontario for Lake Trout and Brown Trout! Matter of fact ask West end charter captains how many trips they get each year from people who have fished the East end and were promised Salmon. Only to catch a couple Brown Trout or a couple Lake Trout.

Spring through the early summer they are waiting for kings and fishing for browns while waiting. If they didn't make money during that time, why would they offer it or even out their boat in? You can't base two charters on everyone on the east end.

Are you a captain out there? The MAJORITY of that fleet works doubles all of August, and that's where they make their money, and get their trips!

This is what I see and hear. I see and hear a lot more than most people on this lake. Just stating my opinion.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Those are the die hard trollers out there with severe Cabin Fever. The crowds on the East end don't get there until July. I've fished that end of the Lake a lot, and have many friends on that end of the lake. As a matter of fact I've fished more of this Lake than 95% of the people that fish this Lake. For both warm and cold water species.

You're kidding yourself if you think THE MAJORITY of people are coming to Lake Ontario for Lake Trout and Brown Trout! Matter of fact ask West end charter captains how many trips they get each year from people who have fished the East end and were promised Salmon. Only to catch a couple Brown Trout or a couple Lake Trout.

Never said anything about the majority, but not everyone comes for kings. I myself, and many others come for variety mixed with the size. I would have no problem coming to Lake Ontario for a charter fishing with someone you can have a good time with only to catch a couple browns or lakers. I guess if you fish "as much as you", you would only appreciate reeling in a king. Variety is great and the size of all the other fish is just as incredible as a king, but who seriously would come to Lake Ontario and be promised to catch a salmon? That's the act of a bad charter captain because if you fish as much as you say you do, you would know that no one can guarantee or promise a fish.

Are you a captain out there? The MAJORITY of that fleet works doubles all of August, and that's where they make their money, and get their trips!

This is what I see and hear. I see and hear a lot more than most people on this lake. Just stating my opinion.

I guess if you have a big mouth, you will hear and see a lot of things. Not everyone is the same as you. Go chase all the kings you want everyday, but when they have lockjaw, what's your plan there "oh holy charter captain"?

Never said anything about the majority, but not everyone comes for kings. I myself, and many others come for variety mixed with the size. I would have no problem coming to Lake Ontario for a charter fishing with someone you can have a good time with only to catch a couple browns or lakers. I guess if you fish "as much as you", you would only appreciate reeling in a king. Variety is great and the size of all the other fish is just as incredible as a king, but who seriously would come to Lake Ontario and be promised to catch a salmon? That's the act of a bad charter captain because if you fish as much as you say you do, you would know that no one can guarantee or promise a fish.

You have no clue what some of these guys promise their clients! LMAO The story's I hear, and the crap I see, all you can do is shake your head! LOL

You have no clue what some of these guys promise their clients! LMAO The story's I hear, and the crap I see, all you can do is shake your head! LOL

I guess that's all you can do. Not like they would listen to anyone else's statement or anything...

I guess if you have a big mouth, you will hear and see a lot of things. Not everyone is the same as you. Go chase all the kings you want everyday, but when they have lockjaw, what's your plan there "oh holy charter captain"?

I fish for everything. I'm just stating that there is a reason the King is called the King! It draws more people to this lake than any other species! It generates more $$ on this lake than any other species! Actually, that goes for both Lake and Stream.

I fish for everything. I'm just stating that there is a reason the King is called the King! It draws more people to this lake than any other species! It generates more $$ on this lake than any other species! Actually, that goes for both Lake and Stream.

The only thing I would do with a spawning salmon is feed it to my dogs. They taste like mush and stink like muck. Don't bring the tribs into this. So if no kings were stocked, then what would this lake be? Because it sure a hell wouldn't stop me from fishing it at any level.

Wow, it's fishing ...for some it's a business for others it's a passion and fun but this isn't the deadliest catch!

I enjoy every part of the season, spring brown fishing is great, then steelhead and lakers till the kings go on the bite

We need to stand together as a group not quibble over minusha.

It's a fishing derby that costs $30 to enter,if you don't like the rules keep your cash in your pocket and don't enter.

It's the thrill of the chase more so than winning any ways

Good luck and have fun !

Wow, it's fishing ...for some it's a business for others it's a passion and fun but this isn't the deadliest catch!

I enjoy every part of the season, spring brown fishing is great, then steelhead and lakers till the kings go on the bite

We need to stand together as a group not quibble over minusha.

It's a fishing derby that costs $30 to enter,if you don't like the rules keep your cash in your pocket and don't enter.

It's the thrill of the chase more so than winning any ways

Good luck and have fun !

Yupp and everyone fishing for the other species should be able to put the fish in for grand prize if it beats out the prior grand prize fish. Its weight that matters, not species.

The only thing I would do with a spawning salmon is feed it to my dogs. They taste like mush and stink like muck. Don't bring the tribs into this. So if no kings were stocked, then what would this lake be? Because it sure a hell wouldn't stop me from fishing it at any level.

I agree with you about the spawning Salmon, but go to the Salmon River when they are spawning. It's ridiculous how many people are on it. That east end makes its money August-November.

Some people would continue to fish the Lake if kings were to disappear, but the impact would be detrimental to tourism and local businesses.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree with you about the spawning Salmon, but go to the Salmon River when they are spawning. It's ridiculous how many people are on it. That east end makes its money August-November.

Some people would continue to fish the Lake if kings were to disappear, but the impact would be detrimental to tourism and local businesses.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've seen the clown show on the river. Sure they come for nasty salmon. Ask Catch the Drift. Kevin gets more clients for steelhead and browns than kings for sure. He does double trips all the time in the winter. Why else?

You can't win a big buck contest by entering a bull elk...the rules are the rules like um or not

The LOC is a Trout AND Salmon derby not just a salmon derby. If all the trout divisions were taken out of the spring derby the Spring LOC would not be much of a derby at all. All the guys that fish from rochester east would not enter because the chances of finding good numbers of salmon are very slim.

For a couple decades the ESLO and LOC were built on trout AND salmon. Now we crap on the trout that have held the fishery together through the ups and downs of the salmon population. Yes the salmon are the main attraction but the trout are still sought after by a portion of the people that fish Lake Ontario.

The LOC is a Trout AND Salmon derby not just a salmon derby. If all the trout divisions were taken out of the spring derby the Spring LOC would not be much of a derby at all. All the guys that fish from rochester east would not enter because the chances of finding good numbers of salmon are very slim.

For a couple decades the ESLO and LOC were built on trout AND salmon. Now we crap on the trout that have held the fishery together through the ups and downs of the salmon population. Yes the salmon are the main attraction but the trout are still sought after by a portion of the people that fish Lake Ontario.

THANK YOU! They are the other half of the derby. I've seen plenty of derbies saved by fishing for browns and catching their limit like in the pro-am. Sorry to bring in another derby but it's the best example. When the salmon pickings were slim, then the derby was played in shallower for brown trout. They saved the day for many people and made for happy fishing teams.

It is true Brian! You don't make it out East Spring through early Summer. Those guys aren't running. I don't know how many days the only boats out of Oswego are the Cold Steel and Hat Trick. The rest of the fleet is floating waiting for July, August, and September to come around. If you market your business right you can get people to come catch other species. Hell, I'm selling Salmon/Lake Trout charters for this coming September!!!!

The King is the fish that attracts people to Lake Ontario. The rest of the fish are just a bonus!

So why are there so many charters that place browns in the spring derby from the east end? Oh that's right they must be accidentally caught salmon fishing out of the east end of the lake in 20 fow. Come in rick. You don't care about the changes because they don't affect you in a negative manner. You as a salmon fishermen benefit from doubled prize money in the spring and fall.

So why are there so many charters that place browns in the spring derby from the east end? Oh that's right they must be accidentally caught salmon fishing out of the east end of the lake in 20 fow. Come in rick. You don't care about the changes because they don't affect you in a negative manner. You as a salmon fishermen benefit from doubled prize money in the spring and fall.

Exactly my words! That's what they are targeting right now and they are having plenty of charters out there now for browns and/or lakers.

Noooooo Rick he isnt a Captain, he is a young and dumb 16 year old kid like me. Yeah remember that I think you do I still have that message you sent me on this site. With all do respect you have the bigget ego on Lake Ontario, what you think cause you won a Challenge Cup you think your the best on the Lake? You wait my buddy Allaboutfishing and I we will grow up and not be so young and dumb and catch more fish than you cause all you like doing is chasing Kicker Kings

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Noooooo Rick he isnt a Captain, he is a young and dumb 16 year old kid like me. Yeah remember that I think you do I still have that message you sent me on this site. With all do respect you have the bigget ego on Lake Ontario, what you think cause you won a Challenge Cup you think your the best on the Lake? You wait my buddy Allaboutfishing and I we will grow up and not be so young and dumb and catch more fish than you cause all you like doing is chasing Kicker Kings

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Id love to see someone call me young and dumb, especially when they are saying stuff like that.

Come on Matt, you know of Dave took the brown trout division out you would be making a stink.

Nope.........No whining or carrying on from me......When the Pro Am's changed the format a couple years ago, I tried to fish it and I didn't care for the changes....No stink raised by me then. I just chose to not participate again. Life is full of choices  .

Ok this has gotten to good to not chime in..! I agree the all mighty King is why "most" people hit the lake! The screaming drag and power is unmatched by any other species we have. But at the same time there is nothing better then a monster Stealhead tail dancing 200ft behind the boat like a tarpon! (My favorite). For me the best thing about OUR lake is the fact that when you leave the dock, the possibilitys of catching a true giant and the fish of a life time are there!! And for that reason I enter the LOC because you never know! I honestly believe that thats the exact reason why everyone on here and that fishes the Lake do to. I see both sides arguments and agree with both sides as funny as that sounds, but thats why I FISH! Some like the rules some dont end of story.

Haha you guys are killin me with all this bickering. I prefer the kings but the trout have their place as well. As far as the LOC in my opinion he can do as he pleases. I'll fish it no matter what. During the late fall months in the tribs tho I hate the kings and love the trout.