Is it possible that the Laker exclusion is because they live so long and are one of few that naturally reproduce in the lake?  Kings die by year five, end of story.  Lakers can live to a hundred from what I have read.  Killing off too many lakers over the slot limit cant have a positive impact on the fishery.  As far as Chilsons rules, its his derby.  Kind of like a buffet, find something you like.  There are some big carp in the lake also, second cousin to the lake trout just a little harder to catch LOL

Edited by whaler1

Dave Chilson was sick of paying the same people over and over again is one of the reasons he stated in his email to me last year.  Laker natural reproduction is not that great in the lake.  The laker population is getting a 300,000 fish per year boost according to the DEC at the state of the lake meeting. 

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by GAMBLER

Dave Chilson was sick of paying the same people over and over again is one of the reasons he stated in his email to me last year.  Laker natural reproduction is not that great in the lake.  The laker population is getting a 300,000 fish per year boost according to the DEC at the state of the lake meeting. 

Steve and Ed have had some crazy success with lakers.  To his credit, Brian has as well.

Steve and Ed have had some crazy success with lakers. To his credit, Brian has as well.

Thanks Bill. Dave is trying to promote the salmon more because he thinks he can draw more people to the derby. He also told me there was a push from a COUPLE west end charter captains. Look at his videos on his site and you can figure out who the bug is in his ear. I wish I still had his email from last year. It might be in my posts from last year in the tourney section. Another excuse was the lake trout fishermen are a small group of participants. IMO, they were guaranteed participants.

Thanks Bill. Dave is trying to promote the salmon more because he thinks he can draw more people to the derby. He also told me there was a push from a COUPLE west end charter captains. Look at his videos on his site and you can figure out who the bug is in his ear. I wish I still had his email from last year. It might be in my posts from last year in the tourney section. Another excuse was the lake trout fishermen are a small group of participants. IMO, they were guaranteed participants.

I won't even guess. But everything you said is true. I've seen the videos.

I am glad they made it salmon only for grand prize Dave is doing great job running low prize money is more for all places great job Dave

Sent from my XT1060 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ho polol op poll who oomph school look5

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Overall Im not sure about all the changes, I liked the original format.  Chances of a boat out of Sandy catching a winning spring king are very small.  Find it hard to believe that prize structure affects the amount of entries.  "gee I have never signed up before, but now that lakers and bows dont count Im in!" ????????  Either way Im looking forward to the Derby and hope to take some of his money.  Hope other Sandy boats fair well also.  Going to have to chase the early bight, not having a weigh station for ten miles in either direction kind of ruins the evening trips.

Lake is going to be hung over friday morning if the wind reports are right. Im sure they are right. The sites i use for wind and weather are never off, very accurate.

Kinda new at this game. What is a "hungover" condition on the lake due to wind

Dang, this thread took more turns than a cat runnin with a can tied to it's tail.  We mods were watchin so it didn't get out of hand, but glad to see that you handled things as gentlemen.  Agree or disagree, it's your prerogative and good to hear different points of view. This site is the best. ;)

Dang, this thread took more turns than a cat runnin with a can tied to it's tail. We mods were watchin so it didn't get out of hand, but glad to see that you handled things as gentlemen. Agree or disagree, it's your prerogative and good to hear different points of view. This site is the best. ;)

It really is. So worth the thread steal for this debate but I'm sorry it was hijacked.

This was a post about water temps at the bar. In case you forgot. Best highjack ever. A hangover on the lake is when high winds blow the day or night before. Some mornings with five mph south wind the lake is still rough and it seems like 1 to 2 footers are comin at you from all direction. Can be a tough bite as well as uncomfortable.

This was a post about water temps at the bar. In case you forgot. Best highjack ever. A hangover on the lake is when high winds blow the day or night before. Some mornings with five mph south wind the lake is still rough and it seems like 1 to 2 footers are comin at you from all direction. Can be a tough bite as well as uncomfortable.

This was great. No harsh feelings.