Getting Into Goose Hunting

Alright I need some help. Having never in my life hunted waterfowl, I have found the desire to begin goose hunting. Now I need some info on the BARE MINIMUM of what I need to goose on a VERY recreational level. Now please understand that I am not looking to master the crafter or limit out constantly. I would just like to do some shooting on the wing and take a few geese here and there.

So this is what I have.

1. Basic understanding of goose hunting through much reading

2. Chocolate lab pup in training

3. Shotgun

4. Camo.

What I am hoping to get away with.

1. Just getting a layout blind. Figure I will be field hunting.

2. Deke spread, I would really really prefer to use silos. Now I know full shells are where it's at but I do not want to lug all that crap around. I figure the silos are lighter and can still draw some birds in

What I do not have

1. Place to hunt. I figure I would ask local farmers. I would figure they would be ok with a goose hunter.

2. Any goose calling ability whatsoever. Never even tried. Tips on affordable calls would be helpful.

The main point of all this is I would like to just get into goose hunting on a very basic level. I would love to hunt solo with my pup or a buddy from time to time. I just want to do so in a cost conscious and effective way. Any advice?

Thanks!

you will find a few farmers that allow it.....first rule respect their land DONT drive all over it unless they say its ok....remove all empty shell casings

many fields will be already promised to other hunters

camo layout blind can be found at any good retail store

silo's do work well....I carry 3 doz in my truck all season in case I want to stop an hunt an evening after work

any call will get you started just get 1 and practice then practice more.....if your wife aint annoyed then your not practicing enough

It's more important to hunt where the geese want to be instead of where you want to hunt them. If there a mile off the road and you have no choice but to walk, do it- don't set up where its convienent you. You'll be frustrated when they fly over your head and land over there anyways! And when your in that sweet spot you won't need to rely on calling just getting your pup to sit still till there feet are out.

I think what he means by " on the X" is....being exactly where the birds want to land. If your "on the x" then there isn't a need for a huge spread. I don't hunt geese anymore, but this thinking is right on point.. Especially in the Sept season...

Sent from my VS920 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Scouting and getting permission to hunt are really the hardest part of goose hunting. If you're where they want to be you don't need sophisticated sets. That said, I hunt with a friend that has fully flocked full bodies and with good calling they can really bring the birds in even on sunny days.

Hey man, I'm new to this group/forum and hope it's ok to post this.

I own a small hunting business in the finger lakes area of NY making custom game calls since 2011. We specialize in waterfowl calls and offer great goose calls at an affordable price. You can see them on Facebook.com/shawcustomcalls or on Instagram at @shawcustomcalls.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you are interested in any calls or if you have any more questions on goose hunting.

Thanks, John Shaw

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

One thing to add, it takes a while for some people to sound like a goose. Your better off not calling until you sound right. Bad calling will chase more birds away than attract

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If your where they want to be they will come. Where are you located ? Maybe you could hook up with someone that kills them regularly

If your where they want to be they will come. Where are you located ? Maybe you could hook up with someone that kills them regularly

Haha I am in Baldwinsville , your are welcome to join if you want to make the trip. Ball bustin and having stories to tell is half the fun of goose hunting and fishing

I am in brockport, so west side of Rochester. Part of this whole goose thing is trying to learn it on my own so I don't embarrass myself!!

and we all had to learn somewhere, I found some guys that helped and watched some videos and took a little from each and a whole lot of days watching them fly by to get where I kill them regularly

idn713

Interesting and good advice on this thread for you as a newbie waterfowl guy.

Camo, deke arrays, calling techniques are all well and good, but don't forget that you are gonna want to kill some birds.

These Canadas look like bombers coming in- big and slow- they are anything but that.

I've shot behind, under and over more birds that I want to remember.

My 2cts worth of advice would be for you to get real friendly with your shootin iron.

Lots of reps with clay targets coming, going, crossing, etc until it's instinctive.

Hunting is like fishing--it's fun to do but more fun when you catch/shoot something.

Chas