4-13-14 FLTA Tournament

Hit the water around 6:30am.  Tried shallow on the west shore first, temps in the 37-39 range with no luck.  We turned back south and decided to stay on the south end of the lake.  Found the warmest temps there at 39-42. It was a popular place, with a lot of boats down there to start off the morning.  Within an hour everyone left but a couple boats  and the bite started for us around 8am. Couldn't get a bite on a stickbait so we fished all spoons and snapwieghts off  inline boards and riggers all day.  The first fish that came to the net was a 28 1/2"   8lb Salmon!  Great way to start the day!     Then the browns started to bite and we managed to fill our box. 

I am a new member to the FLTA and I met a lot of nice people at the tourney and hope to compete in others!  Good luck to everyone!  Fish on!

My Buddy Tony with the Lunker

1606948_10201937408173393_75872994674116

-McLovin out...

Edited by vogel451

My buddy and I couldn't remember weather the weigh-in was at 1pm or 1:30pm.  Also I was a bit nervous I've never been to a tournament  you could enter after you were done fishing and were the weight station wasn't a little more obvious or set up already.  Ill know next time to just relax! :)

Im not sure how much traveling Im going to do this year for the circuit.  I would love to compete on other lakes too.

Edited by vogel451

WTG Vogel! Beautiful landlocked salmon. Josh - although the tailed looks a bit squared in the pic it has a slight fork to it and the spotting pattern extends to only just about the midline (or lateral line)... most browns the spotting also goes more toward the belly of the fish and the spots on this fish aren't really "rounded" in appearance as they usually are on browns.....they are more"irregular" in appearance (sometimes they even resemble "X's" on landlocks) If the pic looked at closely it appears that there is some spotting on the mid and lower part of the tail...on browns it is usually confined to the upper part of the tail.  If you look closely at the dorsal fin it has a narrower angle to it than most browns would have (theirs is usually more "upright" and "boxy" or squared in appearance). On immature fish these differences may be less pronounced and they can be harder to distinguish. Notice also how the head is very small and "torpedo shaped" in comparison to the body.

Edited by Sk8man

Is the tournament schedule posted anyplace? Looking for the Keuka date. Thanks Dave.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

May 4th is the next tournament but you must be a member if not so already. . There is a Finger Lakes Trollers Association Facebook page now with updates, pics and news...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app