Amish outfitter clipper release?

Used them this weekend and loved them until 1 got caught on the line, and noticed about 8 out of the 30 used had deep notches from sliding down the line. How do I avoid this, and why is it happening? They are pulling stick baits and single colored cores or small drop sinkers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sometimes there are tweaks that make a product that much better, and here is what we do with our Amish Outfitter releases. Once you have these set up rigging lines goes fast. we run 250lb Power Pro as our tow line.

We sleeved the back hole and that's where we put our planer line through. We added a bolt and lock nut to add weight to help them slide down and stay down on windy days.

post-139479-0-07147800-1397561414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yankee Troller

I bought these for pulling copper but I ran out of pinch releases last week and was using these for Browns with the mono slipped in the release. I had a hard time dialing them in. Guys that use rubber band! What size bands do you use in clippers for browns and what size for copper? I put the power pro direct in the clipper last year but didn't love it!

#19 or #31. The difference is about 2 LBs. #19 releases about 3 LBS and #31 releases about 5 LBS. Set the gap at .005. Both bands are 1/16TH thick. They will release before they break.

These are what I use and put them through the hexagon hole Rick has the nut and bolt through. Drill the hole a little bigger, press in, and I flare the end. Takes about a minute per release. Probably don't need to flare them but I do.

http://www.idealindustries.com/products/wire_termination/terminals_crimps/crimp_connector_steel.jsp

These are what I use and put them through the hexagon hole Rick has the nut and bolt through. Drill the hole a little bigger, press in, and I flare the end. Takes about a minute per release. Probably don't need to flare them but I do.

http://www.idealindustries.com/products/wire_termination/terminals_crimps/crimp_connector_steel.jsp

Like these....I'm going to see if I can add some hex nuts for added weight

release1.jpg

release2.jpg

Edited by dvdegeorge

Like these....I'm going to see if I can add some hex nuts for added weight

release1.jpg

release2.jpg

You put the sleeve through the back of the release where you put the pull line through...look @ ricks picture closer...you will see where they go. you put the nut & bolt where you put your sleeve.

This way works also

I didn't make them up the came with the planer boards I purchased from someone

One problem I had with the releases stock was on a windy day or if board goes dead on a fast turn your mono line from your rod can get hung up in the slot you use to clip the release into the planer board line

This gentleman cut that part if the release right off

I have some hex head nuts in my hand right now that I'm going to add with a press fit for added weight

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Dvdgeorge, that is how I set up mine. I don't add weight, they will go down my towline as fast as you can feed them line. But I have hard pulling boards from Hank and slick line (Scotty downrigger braid).

I can't remember ever having a line caught in the slot of the release but I'm sure it can happen.

Occasionally, I have had a line get in the slot in the back of the release. I am going to epoxy it closed in the next week or so. The rubber band inside these releases works well too, but then you have to keep bands in your pocket. It's just easier to clip in in my opinion. 

What is everyone using for mainline with these. I have them and love them but have had a handful crack where the set screw is trying to tighten it down. I'm running 10 or 12 lb Berkley. I can't remember which

'Bout Time

Mike

What is everyone using for mainline with these. I have them and love them but have had a handful crack where the set screw is trying to tighten it down. I'm running 10 or 12 lb Berkley. I can't remember which

'Bout Time

Mike

Email ammish outfitter's about those crack. I did, because I have about 6 out of a new 24 green ones that cracked. He said he will send me orange replacements due to the fact the green one have been having occasional issues.

BTW: 20# mono mainline

I'm having trouble finding 150 yards of 250lb powerpro. Any help finding it would be great. If anyone has a very large spool of it and would be willing to sell me 300ft of it that would be great. I need it for the mainline on my boards. Thanks. Also I'm buying these releases this week and plan on upgrading then like you guys have shown. Can't wait to try them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have used them twice they are brand new. There's no way I would sleeve 42 releases. I will just try other brands if that's the case.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Seems to me, for the price,  if you need to do all this rebuilding of them and end up using a rubber band anyway you might as well stick with a shower clip & rubber band !   I had them a few years ago & they all seemed to get brittle & break in half only got one season out of them.   junk, ihmo.