Amish outfitter clipper release?

I added the bolt and nut for weight and epoxied in the steel sleeves but was unable to find my soldering iron to melt the gap closed. I did find a tube of JB plastic repair putty in my electrical drawer so I thought I would give it a go. It's the two colored putty that you knead together and then it hardens. I pressed it into the gap and scraped the extra off with a flat bladed screwdriver. It worked flawlessly yesterday! Quick simple solutions to make the Clipper that much better. Thanks everyone for the great advice.

• 3 years later...

Yankee Troller:

When you are using Amish Outfitter's Clipper Planer board releases with the brass sleeves & SS weights, how do you keep the releases from sliding down your planer board lines when you are letting the boards out?   How do you keep them from sliding down the planer board line until you are ready to use them?

Thanks,

Jim's Jewel

Yankee Troller:  When you are using Amish Outfitter's Clipper Planer board releases with the brass sleeves & SS weights, how do you keep the releases from sliding down your planer board lines when you are letting the boards out?   How do you keep them from sliding down the planer board line until you are ready to use them?

Thanks,

Jim's Jewel

You have to make a "tether line". Basically it's a separate line with a clip that is small enough to prevent the releases to go through. I just use Scotty clips only because that's what I had laying around. I've seen guys use carabiners, dog clips, etc. this helps keep the release from going down and you use this to pull the main line in to attach a new fishing line to.

Look over his shoulder in the pic and you can kind of see what it looks like

IMG_7133.JPGIMG_7134.PNGIMG_7135.PNG

'Bout Time

Mike

Thanks 'Bout Time, I will add a stop when I get back to my boat on Wednesday.  I've got an extra Weldon release with the rubber pads that I will put on the planer line to stop the Clippers from sliding.  I've got a line that I pull in planer line with to attach fishing line to releases, I'll add a short piece of cord to that line & attach to Weldon release that I am going to use to stop the Clippers from sliding.   Great idea!!

Thanks 'Bout Time, I will add a stop when I get back to my boat on Wednesday.  I've got an extra Weldon release with the rubber pads that I will put on the planer line to stop the Clippers from sliding.  I've got a line that I pull in planer line with to attach fishing line to releases, I'll add a short piece of cord to that line & attach to Weldon release that I am going to use to stop the Clippers from sliding.   Great idea!!

That will work but you really want something that the line can slide through. The boards swing in and out and with the waves causing the planer board line to jump up and down will more than likely cause the line to come out of the Weldon release

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Seems like s lot of work to make clippers efficient. I have been using stainless "dog clips" with a Weldon pad release for a decade. The heavy weight of the clip slides down the line fast and you have true one hand placement for speed. 

Seems like s lot of work to make clippers efficient. I have been using stainless "dog clips" with a Weldon pad release for a decade. The heavy weight of the clip slides down the line fast and you have true one hand placement for speed. 

So when the line pops loose you have to put another one when you deploy the line again, correct? Just wondering how many dog snaps I would need on an average day. Of course you could reel in the board and gather them up if needed​.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 years later...

What’s the best way to go about setting the gap / tension on the clip?  I used a feeler gauge 0.005. But I’m having trouble getting these tuned. Smaller walleye won’t snap the band / release from the clip and I end up tracing fish

on the other hand when I pull deep diving cranks baits they false release.