Watch your inboards and I/Os for freezing

Outboards are fine as long as you performed all the regular steps when you pulled your boat out and your seals in lower unit are good. Inboards and I/O's will most likely have water laying in them throughout the block, manifolds, and hoses. They actually would be much safer if they are docked, the ones most vulnerable will be on trailers sitting in boatyards or driveways if they have already been run this Spring. A forecast of lows in the mid teens is enough to do damage away from the buffering of the lake. In the early 80's this happened and lots of damage was done. 

Some guys who have their boats sitting out exposed will actually drain them but a  heater with a safety shut off or a trouble light left on can keep engine room warm enough to avoid freezing.   

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

I called my marina today cause I was a bit worried about my I/o! I just had him get ready last week for some stripers on the Hudson! He has been working on boats for 35 yrs!! He said it would take 24 hrs of teens to freeze the water enough to do damage in a v8!! Here in Albany the low tonight is in the mid twenties!!

I like the light bulb in the bilge or a baby chicken heat lamp!! Lol

Crossing my fingers. Got my winter plastic back over it and dumped some antifreeze in the pipes. (I/o) When I was under the cover the temp was an easy 10 degrees warmer than outside. I don't think I'll have a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As I right this it is at 26 degree's and tomorrow it's going to get into the 40's I still gave her the old drop cord heat with a 40w bulb, no sense taking any chances now, only days away from test run on local lake.

I put a 12 oz water bottle outside last night as an experiment and when I woke up this

Morning not even a chunk of ice was in it. Not sure if that would really explain anything but it at least made me feel safer lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app