Cod Fishing Tips and Knot help - Tie a snelled hook to a leader

I did not tie it to the hook itself. While making the rig I used to slip a bit of orange rubber from a teaser around the line and then stick the little light stick in. You can get them at K-mart.

By the way,where are your teasers?

Edited by rolmops

twenty years ago my mom and dad were cod fishing stellwagen bank.  Jigging with 36oz norwegian jigs and my dad caught "bottom".  Bottom started to move.  Ended up with a 136lb Halibut.  Had a hell of a time getting it in the boat.  Used to love the early season fishing growing up in Mass.  Big cod, Wolffish, Mackeral etc.  Fond memories.

I tie  my  own cod rig  with 30lb big game  3 hook set up   so the lower hook   is right on the bottom. Also   try  hitting  the bait  with pure   oil of anise    I have seen times at Platts  where it turns the fish right on

Thanks for your reply. How high is your highest hook off the bottom? I like the anise tip. I've heard that people use anise for catfish and carp as well. 

I did not tie it to the hook itself. While making the rig I used to slip a bit of orange rubber from a teaser around the line and then stick the little light stick in. You can get them at K-mart.

By the way,where are your teasers?

I just ordered 100 of them on ebay for $15. I'll try some salmon fishing this summer as well. I have seen rigs with teasers on them, just orange surgical tubing cut at an angle - right? I have mostly seen these on jigs. Please educate me. 

twenty years ago my mom and dad were cod fishing stellwagen bank.  Jigging with 36oz norwegian jigs and my dad caught "bottom".  Bottom started to move.  Ended up with a 136lb Halibut.  Had a hell of a time getting it in the boat.  Used to love the early season fishing growing up in Mass.  Big cod, Wolffish, Mackeral etc.  Fond memories.

That has got to be the largest jig I have heard of being fished! Great story and definitely something I will be thinking about while on the trip! Thank you. 

"Thanks. I can't get his version of the snell to work. He does this thing where he puts the tag end through the eye halfway through the knot. I'm only working with a short piece here, since on a fly the whole rig is 36" finished and mine is 6 with two shells. His video also cuts out after the first snell. I ended up tying standard snells, two in a row and it seems to be very strong."

They must have had a conversion problem when they did the Flash video. If you run it in Quicktime you'll get the whole thing but it sounds like the way you did it is solid.

I used quicktime and it worked thanks for the hint. I am going to retie the ones I have made and just start off with a longer piece. His method seems sturdier. 

When you get to the Yankee Fleet dock,you will see a small tackle store inside,you can get teasers there

When you fish on a head boat, you will compete with a lot of other baited hooks targeting what is often a small school of cod. In order to get the most out of it, you should not start reeling in after you feel a strong hit. That cod is on and it does not fight. Wait a bit for a second hit, that way you get doubles instead of the guy next to you getting the second fish.

whaler1

What a great story. Everything is so expensive today. I think I'd invest in some un-plated 22 oz jigs on ebay ($6.50 ea). The 16 oz are $4.75 ea. Sometimes the currents are ripping and you need something heavy to get down there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-oz-Cod-Jig-Lure-Unplated-/200735815461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebcc97725

i used to do a cod trip out of NH in june one of the things that would happen with the party boat if the currents picked up the tangles would get more common switch to one hook keeps you out of a bunch of the mess so while others are re-rigging your fishing.  also braid is big I still have reel filled with dacron from those trips.  Jigs are good but they are a lot of work i found i was much happier with a bait line and a beer especially after cranking fish up 400 ft all day.  use to use the walmart pre made rigs never had issues catching fish untill we had a few to many beers in us