Smelt?

Are they running yet? I used to (about 10 years now) dip smelt at the  Taughannak Park. area and some other spots. cant really remember where exactly. Wondering if they are running yet

They are almost non-existent on many of the Finger Lakes. I think the 50 degree temp might be a bit high as they were often found mixed in with the rainbows and suckers in some of the streams I used to go to and the temps were 40-45 degrees.

Lots of sawbellies still in Seneca.. As far as smelt they're still there just not any of the numbers we used to have.. .. I know a couple guys who hit a spot every year and still come out with them...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-148405-13982526323192_thumb.jpg

every year we have this chat and its always the same... if you want a mess of smelt get away from the finger lakes ..the days of filling buckets and barrels in a few minutes are long gone .. the dec will probably never stock smelt as they were and invasive species to start ,just one that was good for the lakes ... not sure about Cayuga but on Seneca you cant even get to half the creeks anymore ,,,wonder if those landowners that own the land under the creeks pay lakefront taxes on that land... face it fellows although I come back home to fish the drbys the great state  of ny would screw up a good dream .and yall pay good taxes to be treated like second rate citizens ,,,god I love the south never thought I would...... 

rumor is though on a brighter point they are getting a few a taganic park .. verrrry few a cpl and hr but don't forget Cayuga lake still has times and seasons you can smelt..... what a joke regulate the few that even know what smelting is anymore... remember the days when your could not walk in a store and buy smelt nets now around the finger lakes you have to go on line ..... but does anyone know anyone that still makes speed nets if you know what they are lol good luck.... :rain:  :rain:  :rain:  :cash: