Update to making my little boat fish big!

Dukdog

I had some great comments on  my original post which caused me to think of what else I could do to make my Lund Alaskan 18 fish better!!  Here's some updated photos!  New Top and the planer boards have been relocated to my Rocket Launcher!  Top is by a local shop in Waterville, Maine.  Planer board reels and pulleys are by Burt's Tackle.   

I'm very happy with both additions!  Also purchased but not installed yet is a Mac's Prop Saver for my 8 HP Yamaha kicker.

Good article from Great Lakes Fisherman made me aware of that product and it sounded to me like keeping wire out of my kicker wheel was a good idea!!  Low cost insurance!!

DSCN0588_zps79882ee8.jpg

DSCN0592_zpsc3dd3b1f.jpg

DSCN0590_zpsca728186.jpg

Burt's Planer board reels and pulleys

DSCN0589_zpse8bcec07.jpg

Rocket Launcher folded down for travel

DSCN0596_zps1f56e041.jpg

Front Door rolls up and snaps for stowage

DSCN0598_zpsc8c461da.jpg

Nice to see what you've done with it. Looks like a fishing machine. I have a 18' Alaskan and I love it. I have a 9.9 kicker with Minn Kota electric on the bow, electric riggers and planing board mast. Thinking of mounting a set of bird tree rod holders as I'm not super happy with standard rail mount puck system of rod holders. I also have a duck blind I can easily mount in a few minutes when I'm after waterfowl. Love it's versatility, dry ride.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

i was admiring ur boat in ur previous posts and wen i saw ur newest update i had to comment.Wow! That is awsome. My first boat was a 16 sidecounsel, man what i would of done for that top u got. All ur work looks like quality stuff, keep up the good work!

One of the best investments I've ever made was in having a dodger made for the bow of my previous 13 ft. Whaler. It kept the huge Lake O waves totally out of my boat even in rough conditions that I couldn't have gone out in otherwise. It could be flipped up or down depending on conditions and my kids used to play with army men and read etc in it while fishing with me. Here is an old pic of it from the 80's with my son and his campground friend. The canvas was done by John Mann in 1979 and I still had it 22 years later when I sold the boat. :) Might be something to consider adding to yours as well to keep you dry from waves and possibly break up the wind and push it up over the cabin area....just a thought

P.S. I even had one made for my current boat :lol:

post-145411-0-60485000-1397842979_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-27267400-1397843481_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I looked into a dodger also but the price was more than I wanted to spend this year. I only make one or 2 trips to Lake O a year. If it's bad enough to take them over the bow, I not going to be out there.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Good points. There were times when I shouldn't have been out there too :)  Great job on the boat renovation . Best of luck out there this season.

Looks good Dukdog....Looks like you are ready for action...Good call on the prop saver, I made one for mine.....no tangled line on prop yet (knock on wood)

• 2 weeks later...

That top looks great! You'll be happy to have that roll up door for more than simply access to the bow... will help with ventilation... those enclosures are like greenhouses when the sun is out.

That boat is looking like a fishing machine!!