Dipsy Setups

Question for you guys who troll Dipsy's on the lake. I want to setup 2 Dipsy rods, I have pretty much decided to go with 9'6" Daiwa Heartland rods, and I have 2 Cabelas DMG-45 reels that I am gonna use on them. What do you use for line on the reels? Wire or Power Pro? I am gonna bring the reels with me next week to Pulaski and get them spooled up, but not sure which is the best option. If Power Pro I can spool them myself, if wire, I don't know the 1st thing about wire so im looking for advice....I run copper setups while trolling on my planer boards, so not a newbie just have never used wire and Dipsy's are just a new weapon in the arsenal I want to try.

Thanks!!

I use 7 strand 30# wire.  The key is it has to be spooled TIGHT.  Whenever i spool one up, i'll have a buddy put a screwdriver through the line spool and wear some gloves to put a lot of resistance on it.  Then, when you head out to the lake, take a tripped dipsy, let it almost all the way out and retrieve it.  Then you should be good to go.

Wire -

When the fleas come out, you won't be able to use the power pro.  Also the wire catches more fish than braid according to the masses. I only use wire.

Make sure you get as a minimum 7 strand wire - it is flexible and easier to use than single strand (my first mistake as a fisherman using wire).  There's 19 strand as well, which some claim is even better, but my 7 strand does just fine.

You should put 1000 ft of wire on your reel. The application is VERY similar to copper.  Put some braid backing on, around 100 ft - at least enough to cover the spool.  Tie the wire to the braid using an Albright special, see link below.  As per copper make sure you spool on tight, good to have someone hold the spool for you with some drag while you reel it on. 

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special/

To tie your tackle on, use a quick connect ball bearing swivel on the end of the wire.  Use this knot to tie the snap swivel to the wire:

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

After that, like others say, deploy a dipsey (no bait) let out as much line as possible, then reel it in - that will do the final trick.

Edited by markbellino

The wire will keep fleas off much better as well.  You don't need that big of a reel to hold 1000' of wire either, a size 30 fits 1000' perfectly. If you already have them and want to use the 45's they will work too.

I'd put about 75-100ft of mono (30 or 40 lb) under the wire as backing to protect the spool and assist with even distribution of the wire on it (so that it "nests" properly.

Edited by Sk8man

I was told by Tuna Tom that braid will slip on the spool and that mono should be underneath the wire because of the pressure of the wire on the spool when it winds tight on it after some use. I had some major kings hit last season on my wire and it sure didn't mess anything up...with 1000ft of wire I never had ti come close to the mono backing.

Edited by Sk8man

check out Chinook drivers on craig list they work great .went you fight fish you don't know they are on,.you can pick up in Rochester ny

I used them last year they are make out of stainless steel.go thur the water great.

ssduke

I have been using 65# power pro for the last 4 years. Never had a problem w/ fleas,kinks,etc. . I do make sure I check every 45 min or so ,but feel you should anyway if not hit. Do not see a reason to change other than the fact that T-Bro says he catches 5-1 w/ wire over braid. I have wire & will rig one up this year if I get ambitious. Can't wait to turn a 5 fish day into a 25 fish day.

You don't want to use mono on a diver for a couple of reasons. The line is thickener and the drag is considerably more than the wire, which means you cannot get as deep.  The second reason, and probably the more important one, is that with anything more than 40 feet of line out, it is VERY difficult to get the diver to pop open when trying to retrieve the dipsey, because the mono stretches too much.

So if you want to go deep (which is the main purpose of a dipsey) then wire or braid (both being non-stretchable) are the way to go.