Help targeting kings

I trolled for years without a down probe and did fine, it helps allot but not necessary. For me spoons work better that flasher/ flies. Green black blue silver in all combinations

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What you may want to do first is do a search right here on LOU of previous posts for all the information that has already been provided on the subject (there is a lot that you can choose your selections from). Pretty much all of what you are asking is already there.

Edited by Sk8man

There are a few good ones on the market depending on your budget.  The most popular ones are Fish Hawk, Moor Sub Troll and Cannon Speed n Temp.  I use the Cannon speed n Temp and I have no issues with it.  The benefit of the Fish Hawk vs the others is it is wireless.  It runs off a transducer.  which means you can put it on any rigger.  The other 2 mentioned use a cable/antenna that is mounted to the rigger.

Which ever one you choose, it is a must in helping increase your catch.   Good Luck,

Lou

Years ago my father and I had the same results with just our depth finder and spoons. But the last maybe 5 years we have not been catching much. Went with my wife 3 times and she has no interest now because we didn't have a release. This was last summer. People keep telling what to buy but i don't wanna spend lots of money and have the same results. In my mind I keep going back to "we never had this years ago".

Have you considered taking a charter in the port you fish from? A simple 4 hour charter with a knowledgeable, reputable captain would take years off your learning curve and eliminate a lot of your frustration. Most captains have no problem answering any questions you may have and some of us (shameless plug) actually offer on the water classes to rec fishermen such as yourself--even providing you with a "goodie bag" of hot baits at the end of your class.

Just a thought.....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I like Pauls suggestion. I put Alot of fish in my boat and 95% is from advice from taking charters and other fisherman on this site. I have a 16' pontoon boat no down speed or temp and no down riggers. So when I took my charter the captain showed me everything to do fort my situation. Proper dipsy set ups, flat lining with trolling sinkers, color choices, etc. my hook up rate tripled. Also when you use dipsy and know how to read your pole you will gauge your speed really quick. He literally for Sake of teaching me turned his fish hawk off and showed me how to read my dipsy rods to judge the speed. I also fish with on a boat with all the gear and it definitely is a huge advantage but I believe I'm better for learning with out first. You'll know you pick the right charter when there excited to teach you not just hand you a rod. I can recommend some good guys I've used but there is Alot on this site that help all of us out that I would hire.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree hole heartedly with taking a charter out of the port of your choosing. Charter captains have many years of experience and know their ports very well. if you speak with the captain and let them know what you are looking for in help they usually are very susceptible.

On the other hand you did not list the port you are having issues with. Summer fishing in Mexico Bay is  on the opposite side of the coin from summer fishing at the Oak Orchard area.

Good luck and tight lines.

Study this Forum. It is a plethora of info. The old adage of "We didn't have this stuff years ago" gives you tunnel vision and no room to grow. We didn't have Zebra mussels and Flies and gobies and the Smelt population was better. In Evolution the ones that adapt, improvise, and "EVOLVE" are the ones that survive. In retrospect also be a pioneer and think outside the box as well. Fish Hawk X4 is my best tool I’ve bought in  a long time that increased my catch in summer 300%!

I got started because a buddy of mine owns a 18' Starcraft. We'd randomly float around I-Bay, catch a couple fish and drink a couple beers - until he got hooked on the idea of trolling. I spent the winter on LOU, reading everything I could but we really started by doing what Paul suggested, hiring a spring charter to show us how it all works.

We had a blast, learned a lot and it didn't hurt that we had the best day EVER! We boated 40 fish and seven species that day. Been loving it ever since...

Thanks everyone for your awesome suggestions. Looks like I will be booking a charter soon. In the meantime will get my rods rigged for browns and steelhead now. Have 30 pound flea flicker on now and will run a fluorocarbon leader of 12 pounds off of that and run spoons and plugs on top. Early season is much easier. How long is reccomended for a leader. I was gonna do a 10 foot leader with a small swivel.

Location is the first part of the fishing equation. Need to be over & around fish to catch them. Only speed I have is surface & GPS,I feel do pretty well out there,  Follow the Charter boats at first,but not to close. Hard to beat a dipsey flasher/ fly combo for most consistant action.

If I had to have one it would be dbl wht crush glow spin & dbl glo fly.