Finger Lakes Fishing resources

I've had a few inquiries (especially from new people) about what information might be available specifically regarding fishing in the Finger Lakes -  especially for trout. In this day of You tube videos and various "how to" Web based sources a couple of older but important books have received little attention of late but for the person just starting out trout fishing in the Fingers they are very important in developing a basic understanding of some of the "mainstay" fishing techniques that have spawned the more recent equipment and tactics being used in this specific fishery.  One of the books was considered my "fishing bible" in earlier years and I probably learned as much from it as any book I've ever encountered and much of it (techniques) is still relevant despite being published in 1962. The other edited book is a compilation of articles by other authors having specific knowledge of individual lakes written by my close friend and fishing buddy (now departed)  talented outdoor writer C. Scott Sampson. 

Some other Finger Lakes fishermen may know of other useful resources for this particular fishery and if so hopefully will include them in this posting  so it can serve as a resource for new folks trying to get a handle on things. Although many of the more recent developments  (e.g. techniques and equipment) are covered on LOU in other places reading these books before hand can give someone a real jump on understanding the "in's and out's" that lead to their development. 

Here are the books:

Fishing For New York State's Fabulous Finger Lakes Trout by Earl Holdren (and exquisite FL fisherman by the way) Outdoor Sports publishing (1962) - I'm pretty sure it is out of print but libraries may have it or possibly on inter-library loan.

Good Fishing in the Finger Lakes Region and Western New York by C Scott Sampson (Editor) (2003) Sanders Fishing Guides Incorporated

post-145411-0-51282200-1397788417_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-53544200-1397788427_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Good post! Not trying to drum up business for anyone, but the best thing you can do is get hands on experience. When I was starting out I found the guys that were the best at what they do and went fishing with them. Some were free others were capts I paid for. Even today if I jump on one of these guys boats you learn something the same way they do when they get on mine. The money you save by getting the right gear once will more than cover the trip. I got thousands of dollars of crap that doesn't work from when I was starting out. Another thing guys can study or spend time learning is the life cycles of the bait/forage of what you wanna catch. Like an old native fishermen in Alaska told me if you wanna catch an owl learn about the mouse. Kind of funny but true. Sean

I'm with Sean on this one, a good charter can speed up the learning curve and save much money in tackle that may or may not work,not to mention the frustration of tangles ,fish lost,empty coolers,and miles of empty water....yes the oll 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish is true on the fingers too..now this doesn't mean 30 out of 36 miles don't have fish but that 10% might be the outlet of a creek,a thermocline,area 20 ft from bottom in 100fow or 20 ft from the surface. ect. ect.

Sean's comments are "priceless" and there is no substitute for direct "hands on" experience (in other facets of life as well as fishing). I sure wasn't meaning to suggest that books and videos etc. are "replacements" or even close to being as important as actual experience.....just additional ways to achieve some understanding some of the aspects of this specific fishery for those folks new to it or that don't live around here.

Bob - I knew it was your copy because it had all the question marks in pen after every "big word" :lol:

P.S. Finger Lakes veterans Sean and Ray have given some important kernals of wisdom here which you probably won't find in any video orbook :)  Thanks guys.

Edited by Sk8man

I couldnt agree more with Sean.  When I started fishing for walleye in the fingers I couldnt find ANY walleye help whatsoever.  I eventually learned it myself but I had so many fishless days and bought so much worthless gear and tackle trying to figure how to consistantly catch walleye it was a very expensive way to learn.  I decided I would help guys as much as I could here on LOU, and later decided to become a guide.  IMO if someone was to do some reading here on this site, buy a few books to read on their quarry, and then took a trip or two with a charter captain or guide the learning curve would be reduced dramatically in a very short period of time.  If you ask a question here you get a lot of answers, but not all will pertain to "your" fishing.  If you take charter trip on the lake you fish with a local expert you WILL learn things that pertain directly to "your" fishing that you probably would never have tried or figured out.   Real first hand experience gained fishing with a local expert is priceless.  Plus once you see how its done reread the books and then it will really make sense.   Most people these days take classes to learn everything from college courses to self defense to golf....take the same approach to fishing and take lessons from a pro, and Ill bet you will have a great source of info in the future also!  Excellent thread Les!

justin

First I just want thank everyone here on LOU for their contribution to the fishing community in the Finger Lakes. It takes a lot of time and effort to post as much as so many of you have over the years. I don’t post much, but I check the forum daily. I love reading about what everyone is up to, and I feel like I know many of personally even though I have never met any of you.  When I started fishing the finger lakes 5 or so years ago I was totally overwhelmed with the size of the lake (grew up bass fishing in small lakes and trout in the streams), so I bought every book  on fishing in this area that I could find, both of the books that Sk8man recommend are excellent, though I seem to have lost both of them (I always loan books out and forget who I gave them too ;(  ). When I found this site it was a total game changer  :rock:.  Any way enough with that rant; a couple of years ago a friend gave me:

Sander's Fishing Guide to New York #2: Finger Lakes Region . 

Here is the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Sanders-Fishing-Guide-New-York/dp/0961805706

The book is an awesome read, covers a lot of material, and provides some great insight on the history and evolution of the sport in this area.

Hope to see some of you on the water soon!

-Sonam

Good one Sonam...thanks I have it too and had forgotten to mention that one.  Another is the Sporttsman's Connection Western New York Fishing Map Guide (www.sportsman'sconnection.com/) (also in places lke Dick's and Walmart etc.).