Trolling plate

Anyone use a trolling plate? If so what brand? I am looking to do some trolling on LO this year but I need to slow the boat down. I have a 120 horse merc I/O on a 16 foot Starcraft

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I had a happy troller, Worked perfect. Just don't forget it's down. One time mine somehow fell down at the boat ramp and when I took off... Well let's just say I had to bend it back on the water 3 miles off shore in 2 footers.

You could also look at drift socks, about the same price and saves drilling holes in your motor

Edited by BigMac

Beware of tying rope to the bucket handles as the handles have a tendency to dislodge. Remove the handles and replace with about 18 inches of 1/4 inch dia. rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run a  spring loaded trolling plate on my 115 etec and it works fine.  that being said I hate the thing around the dock because it really hinders maneuverability in reverse.  I would much rather have a kicker but that isn't in the cards at this point.  If you have the option of getting a kicker instead go that way, you won't be sorry.  Lots of positives for a kicker: speed control, safety of having second motor, fuel efficiency, NOISE, too name a few.

Take the wire handle off the bucket. Get a 1/2- to 3/4 " drill bit & drill 4 holes in the ring on the bucket equaly spaced . Make a harness w/ a 3' piece of 3/8" rope by going in & out holes around bucket, Tie a square  knot on inside of bucket  .Tie your pull rope to center of that. Drill about 15 1/2 - 3/4 "  holes in the bottom of the bucket. Been using them for 35 years.

Pulled a stack of buckets out of the dumpster today & they are soaking in my driveway . Will scrub out in the morn.I really don't need any more but I cou;dn't just let them go to the landfill.

I had a plate & I hated it.

Edited by Has Been

I 2nd bags. I usually troll slow enough with my kicker but in rough water I like my main engine with bags it keeps the boat going straighter.

Bags are easy to store and leave on the boat and everyone will tell you space is at a premium on smaller boats.

Sent from my thinking chair...