Help on rigging Lund Alaskan

Kevin J Legg

I have an 18' Lund Alaskan with two Cannon electric riggers with dual rod holders and a Planning Board Mast (in front pedestal seat). It has two rail mount adjustable Lund style rod holders (Ram) on each side for a total of four rod holders per side.  I usually run three lines off boards and two off  riggers for browns and a couple dipseys, riggers and maybe a copper or lead core for salmon. I'm not happy with the Lund mounts as I lost a rod and rod holder to a salmon a few years back so I'm leary using them for dipsy or even salmon fishing. I have heard that I can use stainless carriage bolts in the rail and aluiminum plate bent to 45 degree angle to make a strudy base. I also have an old cannon track plate from another boat) I'm thinking of putting either a bird tree or dipsey 2 or 3 rod holder on each side ( Great Lakes Planner or other). I fish Lake Ontario for trout and salmon but also use the boat for bass, walleye, panfish and duck hunting so need to be able to remove them easily to convert to a duck blind and keep versatility.  Anyone have any suggestions on what would be the most economical and efficent way to do this rigging? 

Depending on how much you want to spend I would go with the Cisco rod holders. I had an Alaskan and moved up to a sport angler. Once you buy a Cisco it's guaranteed for life and the product is indestructible. The holders can be moved and mounted any where in the boat on the rail. I have ten holders and never had a problem.

The traxtech mounts aren't as thick as the ciscos. The ciscos are a beefy sturdy mount. I bought the traxtech down rigger risers I like them. I think the Cisco product is sturdier and guaranteed. I was able to use all my rod holders from the Alaskan to the sport angler. Plus if you ever have to sell them you can unload them quickly and not take a beating on the price.

Kevin

There are some after market downrigger mounts that are designed to easily lock into your lund tracks - I got 2 of them and mounted a triple rod holder on each - they worked real nice

Got mine at Seager marine