Canadice 4/18 Canadice

When I arrived at about noon DEC was there stocking about 4300 fish from Caledonia.

Tried trolling at Canadice for the first time and used sonar (a bit jury rigged) for the first time.   There were quite a few people fishing/trolling but I didn't see or talk with anyone who had any success.  Water temperature ranged from 39.4o - 41.8o with the warmest water being in the coves on the east side.  Wind started in the south but gradually swung around to the west and then the north.

Using sonar gave me a better mental picture of the lake bottom and I did locate some fish.    One was 60' down in about 90'FOW.   The remainder were scattered along the east side of the lake 6'-16' down in <40'FOW.    Some appeared to be curious about my red speed indicator ball.     I was amazed at how smooth the bottom is.

I tried the DR and flat lined w/o success using 44s and evil eye.   My biggest problem was that my motor vibrated a lot at low speed and it was hard to keep in the 1.5 - 2 speed range.

An interesting day in spite of not hooking a fish.

Jack,

Don't be afraid of cranking the motor/speed up a notch or two even with the Sutton's. This time of year it seems most productive for me at least to troll things near the bottom and up at the top rather than concentrating on the suspended stuff. All of us are guilty sometimes of thinking every fish marked is a trout too :)  Many times bass and other species of fish suspend and are not interested in our lures regardless of presentation. Usually if you can find pods of bait someplace that will pay off with fish if you are persistent.

I assume that most of the fish I saw on the sonar are not trout!    I would think the loner at 60' over 90FOW was a trout but maybe not.     To add to the confusion they were stocking but I stayed away from the stockers which were being caught by a couple who were fishing for crappie.

I'm learning about the sonar and have to learn about all the settings and what the screen shows.   I was running on the default settings.  This one does a lot of stuff w/o operator input such as adjusting for depth.   I saw what might have been baitfish (sort of cloud looking at the bottom) in deep water.  I found the sonar screen so interesting that I had to remember to watch for other boats and maintain direction!

Boat speed is a bit iffy since I am using a Luhr Jensen speed indicator. I was thinking that given the temp of the water slower might be better.    With the DR ball down speed isn't quite so much of a problem but with only one down it pulls the boat to the side.  

Once I get some warmer weather to finish rigging the boat as I have intended, things will probably work better.   The 2 stroke Yamaha motor really doesn't like running at low RPM so eventually I may opt for electric trolling motor.   I also wonder if a four stroke motor would slow down better and run smoother/quieter?

Four strokes are much quieter, smoother and a lot better on fuel.....on the downside they are a little pricey too :)

If they were coming fron Caledonia, they were more than likely browns.  Lakers are not raised at Caledonia. 

Browns I was told.  I didn't get close enough to see them.   I thought that lake trout  were to be stocked but it is nice to see browns.

Four strokes are much quieter, smoother and a lot better on fuel.....on the downside they are a little pricey too :)

Yah, $$$$.    I saw a cheap used 5hp FS but am not confident about buying a used 4 stroke as I don't know much about them.    I will probably wait and see what I think of trolling before spending more $.    I think once I get the DRs in desired location I can just drop the weights to slow the boat down.

Yeah, my 2 stroke 9.9 is being tuned upi right now and I'm wondering if I am going to have to figure it out all over again....I can tell by just the sound of the motor usually where I need to be it's been with me since 1989....older than one of my kids :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Maybe I need to either have the motor worked on or learn to tune it?   If this motor could be tuned to run smoothly and at a little slower speed it would serve my needs at this point.    I'm not sure who in Rochester would be the best to work on the motor.    I may look for info in the library.

If I buy an electric it will be a new MinnKota .   I'm at the point where I don't want to spend a lot more $ until I get some more experience.

The motor is a 6hp Yamaha I think from the 1990s.    I replaced spark plugs and it starts easily.    It just doesn't like to run slow.     I assume that it might need some adjustment of low speed jet and maybe timing but I'm not that much of a motor head to jump into it w/o learning more.   I may look for a manual at the library.    I do wonder how many outboard users are concerned about running at low speed?     I also have a tiny 1980s 2hp evinrude that might work better at low speed and allow room for an electric motor.

If you have a garden hose at home you could run it at home and play with the adjustments until it runs right where you want it too, not a very difficult task just remember where you started off so you can get back to where you started if you adjust it the wrong way. Like I said, there are plenty of small old two stroke motors purring around still

Zack,  Thanks for the encouragement.   I just did some searching and found that the motor is newer (2000 model) than represented by the seller.  I also found an owners manual on line.  Wish I had a service manual and will look in the library.   The owners manual says it should idle at about 850 rpm.   Don't know how that translates into speed.

I sometimes will tighten down the mixture screw all the way to squeeze out the gum that has accumulated then back it off the same number of turns... works every time on my 4 stroke 9.9 honda when it begins to idle rough... I also use startron gas additive... keeps the bad stuff from forming in the first place and keeps the gas fresh longer...  makes my chainsaw start easier too...

Edited by deep_end

Also you could change prop sizes to slow down a bit and keep your rpms up, tossing a five gallon bucket off the back or a drift sock will allow you to run the motor at above idle and maintain a lower speed

When I drop the DR weight it acts the same as a drift sock and that may be the solution even when using trolling techniques like divers, flat lining, etc.     Not too many props available for this motor!   Of the two pitches I have the slower pitch.

I do have a 2hp which I may try.

Not this year but after doing some research I may eventually get a FS motor.   I'd like to see a low hp FS motor run to see what they are like.   I have always found outboards a pia ( I like sailing and rowing!) but have heard that FS are a lot better than the 2 stroke motors I have experience with.   I don't like the added weight of the FS though.

I have a honda 2.3hp. FS and a 3hp. two stroke I only use the honda anymore. It weighs less than the two stroke because its air cooled. When you let off the throttle it stops. It has a centrifugal clutch, no problem trolling for lakers. I can troll all day on a quarter of gallon.

I have a honda 2.3hp. FS and a 3hp. two stroke I only use the honda anymore. It weighs less than the two stroke because its air cooled. When you let off the throttle it stops. It has a centrifugal clutch, no problem trolling for lakers. I can troll all day on a quarter of gallon.

How big is the boat you are pushing with the 2.3?