DOT Numbers

Yesterday I received a call from a fellow charter Captain. He had trailered his boat to town to gas it up. When leaving town he was stopped by the cops for a DOT check. They informed him that because he uses the boat to make money, he must have DOT numbers on his truck.

They also said all these guys pulling landscaping trailers, or hauling amish equipment, or anything where a guy makes money pulling a trailer has to have a DOT number.

So where do I get a DOT number from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'll go there Monday and find out. Wish I heard this before. I was just there Friday to renew plates on the trailers and motorcycles.

I googled how to get a DOT number. We can go online or call a phone number. The DOT number is free. What it does is give the government yet another way to know what we are doing and where. Of course they have "safety regulations" for us to follow.

A lot of misconceptions on this. As one who deals with this daily here is the scope. One: yes technically you need dot numbers if your hauling your boat as part of a money making business. Now unless your over 26000 lbs combined weight. No cdl or log book required. You should display dot numbers. Personally if it was me get your numbers and affix them to a magnet and only display the numbers when your in boat is in tow. Now if you choose to comply you can be stopped for random dot checks and you must pull into weigh/inspection stations on the highway. When displaying the for numbers you must have a fire extinguisher , safety triangle, first aid in the vehicle. Also everything on truck and trailer must be in good working order.

The only thing I am not sure about is if your not running commercial plates can you still display for numbers

A lot of misconceptions on this. As one who deals with this daily here is the scope. One: yes technically you need dot numbers if your hauling your boat as part of a money making business. Now unless your over 26000 lbs combined weight. No cdl or log book required. You should display dot numbers. Personally if it was me get your numbers and affix them to a magnet and only display the numbers when your in boat is in tow. Now if you choose to comply you can be stopped for random dot checks and you must pull into weigh/inspection stations on the highway. When displaying the for numbers you must have a fire extinguisher , safety triangle, first aid in the vehicle. Also everything on truck and trailer must be in good working order.

The only thing I am not sure about is if your not running commercial plates can you still display for numbers

This is spot on.  One of my teammates was a Syracuse PD DOT officer and I confirmed with him on this.