cannon speed and temp

If the entire probe is shutting down (not just speed not working) check the small silver contact on the top for corrosion or contamination.  If you touch the end of the "ground tail" to the contact, the probe should turn on even out of water....great for testing the probe (when it works!).  If the probe turns on you can spin the wheel and see a speed reading.

My probe went bad.  Erratic temperature readings and speed would not work reliably.  Cannon discontinued them, so I could not get it replaced or repaired.  They did provide me an even exchange in other Cannon accessories for what I paid for it.....although I would have much preferred another probe.  It was a really nice system when it worked!

I have owned  a Speed N Temp since they first came out . Great unit when they work . I found that the speed wheel must move FREELY . If it is bound up in any way it Won't work . If the pin is tight or the aluminum guard is hitting it or just some seaweed around the pin it won't work . Make sure it spins freeely when you use your finger . It should spin for a couple of seconds on it's own . Also , put vasoline on the o rings that seal the battery compartment . Get water in there and it's history .Good luck , hope this helps .

i have depth raider and when it stops working (shows - - - ) we pour water on the antennae and that gets it to work again for a while and then we have to do it again.  ive tryed a wet rag but pouring water on it is the best fix.  i dont know if cannon is the same tho

Edited by BrokeOff

i have checked its not upside down, now we will try water,thanks for info it does work only for a short wile then stops . I going to check the speed also. lotts of info thanks to all , be safe out on the water.

On my depth raider I had an issue were it worked for like a minute and then went to no reading which is ---. The issue was the connection from the cable to the probe. Took that connection apart and reconnected with new and I was all set for the year. Thank you for reminding me. Another item to add to the list before I go to the bar in three weeks.