Downrigger install

Russ

I'm looking for ideas on how to do a temp install of two manual downriggers on my boat w/out drilling holes on the gunnel. I don't have a rail or gimbals. I've seen a couple of pics where guys mounted the riggers on 2x6s but I can't see how they mount the 2x6 on their boat, I was thinking of using a seat post but would still need to secure it on the sides of the boat I think.

Any ideas appreciated.

aV1DCk9A.jpg

aV1DCrE0.jpg

Id install gimbal mount rod holders in the boat and then use those for the downriggers with the mount. Will look like its from the factory so no need to wory about the holes that you will have to drill. If you dont want to drill for those, find some big c clamps and clamp the 2x6 to the sides. Never seen it done but it should work.

Russ I think what you saw used to mount boards on these other boats for temp. use are the Eagle Feet. You simply bolt a board to the clamps and they clamp down around the sides pretty securely. I have a set in the garage that I used years ago on a 16' alum.deep-v. Not needed any more if you have any interest, I would make sure they are complete first. Otherwise I agree that the best solution is to mount tracks to place and remove riggers easily.Good luck.

Glenn

I use the Eagle feet on my 20 ftr. Easy on/off with no holes drilled in the boat. I use a seat pedestal with an adapter plate I made to give the board additional support in the center. I used a 1" x 6" Oak board and finished it with Minwax Marine Spar urethane. Here's some pics:

ef1.jpg

ef5.jpg

ef6.jpg

ef7.jpg

VEIW.jpg

On an older boat I had to used the cleats to attach the trolling bar. I cut a notch out of the 2x8 to slide over the cleat then used U-Bolts through the center of the cleat and up through the 2x8. Never had a problem- never drilled a hole in the boat.