new auto pilot!!!!

vernman

i am in the process of puchasing a 26 seaswirl boat!!! i want to put a newer fish finder and auto pilot!!! my fish finder on my old boat was a lowrance fish findergps, and i never had auto pilot before, i was hoping to get some advice before i start rigging the boat!! any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks verman

I can proabably help you on that, I also have a 26 swirl WA. I just yesterday put the auto pilot in. My boat has the penta I/O and cable steering and I chose the Simrad AP14 autopilot. Intalling wasn't bad, but you may have to relocate your fuse panel to acoomdate teh steering unit. My mechanic did it in 5 hours. Let me know if you have any other questions. It a nice boat, you will like it! For a gps unit I am running the lowrance global map 7500.

I second the Simrad AP14 I installed one in my 24' Thompson last year, worked flawlessly and was pretty easty to install. The biggest PITA was replacing the steering cable. (Mine was a rack and pinion and the Simrad replaces a rotary steering helm, so I had to replace the R&P cable with a rotary one). I haven't heard of anyone that has a bad thing to say about the Simrad.

Tim

Jax here

I am in the market for an auto pilot also, I had a post up on the old LOU board. I have a 21 ft Lund that I just had to replace the steering cable with the a newer R+P teleflex system. Would the AP 14 work for my application? Im going to give simrad a call tommarrow. I would hate to have to replace the brand new system I just put in, for the autopilot. $400 down the drain...? :(

Any feed back would be appreciated

Not tryin to steal the spotlight vernman just thought I mite be able to get some help as well ;)

Sorry Jax, the Simrad replaces a rotary helm. A Rack and Pinion needs to be replaced with a new steering cable.

Glen, the AP12 and 14 are the same mechanically, I believe the big difference is that the AP 14 has a digital display showing the compass heading it is locked onto. I thought it was worth the couple hundered extra bucks.

Tim

Thanks Tim. My dash area is getting low on space. It looks like the ap12 has a smaller control so thats why I'm probably going to go that way. Is the control unit on the 14 stationary? In the only pictures I have found it shows a cable coming out the bottom and the 12 doesn't seem to have one.

Thanks for your help.

Glen

Glen, I installed the AP14 two seasons ago, great unit. Like Tim, I needed to replace the steering cable (I have an older trophy). Just a pain, not really that difficult. Got it from planetgps.net approx $1200. Recommended and the extra 200 bucks for the remote (the difference between the AP12/AP14) was worth it to me... and not just because it gives you the heading in a digital readout... the coiled cord allows you to mount the remote a few feet away on a crowded dash.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Hope you two are wintering well. I have Hydralic steering so I won't have to do the cable thing but the units are more money. I have to call Simrad and get some specifics regarding the dimensions of the control units and make up my mind. Way it looks right now I will go with the AP12 and try to fit it on the dash if possible but if I can't your mounting advice with the cord will be the way to go. Prices at planetgps are the lowest I've seen so far.

Thanks for your input.

Glen