• 3 weeks later...

Very shallow on the lake side. Last year you had to head a bit south after a couple hundred yards into the lake. Look for dark water and trim up. I will be doing my shakedown next week after finishing up my new kicker project and was hoping someone had gone through to report how it is this year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The sandy pond channel maintenance club had a website with some overhead pics from last year that may help you find the route

• 2 weeks later...

Channel and the general area were great last summer - I've been going to the pond for 30+ years and it was probably a top-10 year in my time.  The water levels were up several feet from 2012 and I'd expect the same this year with how wet and mild it is assuming the committee was able to continue digging it out.  The deep freeze of the winter also shield the pond from an abundance of sand being swept in.  I'd imagine the spawn was delayed again so once bass season opens you're going to get a lot of big aggressive females (unless you object to pulling them off their nests).  Right now it's primarily Walleye (I've gotten them before later in the year near the island with worm-tipped jigs in fairly deep water (8'+....which is deep considering the deepest part of the pond is only 12-ish in a typical year)

Was up for a week in early July last year after the spawn and still pulled in several couple 20"+ smallmouth anchoring just off the island and casting out off the drop-off at dusk (got one on an X-rap and one on a large black jitterbug).   Our finder looked like a sky-view of NYC traffic with all the fish passing under the boat.

People were also having luck with drop-shot rigged minnows and gulps on the sandy bottom of the deeper parts of the channel (during the week - too much boat traffic on weekend to do much in the channel itself).

I also had a lot of luck right off the dock in front of our place later in the evening (8-10PM) - we were in the Seber Shores area on the southeastern part of the pond.  Smallmouth all over as well as what appears to be a new crop of White Bass which I haven't seen on Sandy Pond in 20+ years.  Was pulling in a 16"+ smallmouth on literally every 4th or 5th cast with black jitterbugs.  The surface activity was absolutely insane.

A couple other hot spots:

- Right out in front of Seber Shores about 50-75 yards or so is the start of a large weed bed in about 6-8 ft of water.  Early AM on a calm morning if you drop anchor right on the edge and throw X-raps and Spook Jrs.  As the sun rises switch to texas rigged senkos or a diving Rapala to get down deeper or even sink a drop shot rigged Gulp.  Tons of Bass hiding down in there.  I also saw - much to my surprise - a number of good sized Channel Cats breaking the surface around our boat (distinct spatula-shaped dorsal fin).

- Weed bed in front of the Wigwam.  I personally am not a fan of it and try to steer clear but some people have a lot of luck throwing weedless rigs (senkos, frogs, etc)

- Sunrise at the mouth of the creek in the southeast part of the pond.  A relative of mine went out a couple times in his kayak and got a few pike throwing spoons.

As I said I've fished this pond for 30+ years and was absolutely thrilled to have a year like this.  The physical changes to the channel, dropping and warming water levels and the resultant weeds had smothered early summer fishing for years - last time I had what I would consider a good trip was about 10 years ago when there was an unusually large population of pike camped on the pond side of the channel and could be plucked easily with spoons and rattle-traps.  Not to the degree of the late 80's/early 90's where we could sit in the channel with minnows and fill a stringer with 18"+ smallmouth in an evening but very active nonetheless.

Im keeping my boat at seber shores this year and plan on making my first trip out on the lake sat morning not sure the best way through the channel but I guess i have to figure it out ive heard the water is deeper then usual for this time of year ill let you know how it turns out

Sent from my SM-T210R using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I went out through the channel last week. The water in the pond straight in from the channel is very low.

I went to the north side of the channel to get out. You have to hug the dunes and you can see the darker water which is deeper. I saw some boats do a similar tract on the south side of the channel.

I did see fish on the finder in the pond too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am at Seber Shores as well. Went out Sunday with no issues but it is shallow on the lake side going out. There are shallow buoys on both sides, I hung toward the ones on the starboard side, where the darker water was.

I went out on the south side of the pond, I had my gps info from last year when they dredged and had no problems. The shallowest I went through was 3.4ft

The pond has produced some nice catches of bass and pike for us over the years. The last couple years we have even landed quite a few good size bowfin

Couldn't get out on the lake today so cruised around the pond and caught a bunch of

northerns with the kids and made a memory for all of us!

Went out around noon once the fog lifted some lowest water I saw in the Chanel was 3.4 fished from there to salmon river picked up 1 in 11 fow on a spoon and had 2 releases with nothing on post-152212-14009946279914_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Couldn't get out on the lake today so cruised around the pond and caught a bunch of

northerns with the kids and made a memory for all of us!

May I ask where and how you rigged for the Northerns? We have a summer place at Brennans Bay and would like to learn where and how to rig for norherns, walleyes and smallies.  Does anyone offer charters on Sandy Pond?

Thanks, Mark

We just trolled with stick baits and spoons looking for depth breaks. In the fog they came right to the top and later in the day we switched up to some medium running crank baits and just covered some water. We probably got a dozen or so with a couple of bass as well. I saw a couple of big walleye caught from the south pond at our campground. I have not seen too many walleye from the north pond.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, didn't get to take my trip up this year, but a few family members did (staying on Wigwam road).

Very interesting couple of weeks from what they told and showed me.  Bass bite that part of the pond was down from normal as the tournament that dumps in front of the WIgwam was apparently canceled (Wigwam may host it - not sure - but it's for sale so that would explain).  Anyway, not a lot of bass activity as I said - but the water was absolutely loaded with Bowfin.  My brother in law caught a Bowfin 3 years ago and that's the only one I'd seen in my lifetime there.  Used to get Ling here and there but they were a one-off kind of thing.

From what he told me they caught upwards of 15 Bowfin over the course of a week right off shore with a number of them pushing 30".

Hopefully thats not an indication of a little population explosion - I'd imagine that's a species that could impact the Bass spawn.

I just happened to see this post and thought there may be some interested parties here . The channel (Inlet) from N. Sandy pond to Lake O is privately maintained by the    Sandy Pond Channel Maintenance Association , (SPCMA ),  PO box 686 , Sandy Creek , NY 13145 . It receives  NO public funding and is dependant on donations and volunteers . Any one who uses the channel ,even occasionally , should be donating to the cause . With out these folks it would be an iffy and dangerous passage . There is a  meeting this Sunday , July 27 , 2014 at the Sandy Creek Town Hall , Harwood Dr. , Sandy Creek NY .The meeting is open to everyone concerned about the future of the Sandy Pond channel .

they need to be spending their money on a break wall instead of wasting it on dredging it.thats just a waist of money.dredge it one day and have a big blow the next day and there goes alot of money down the drain.i docked in sandy pond last year and now drive an extra 20 miles to my boat.i know you cant just go build a break wall,but until they do,nothing is gona change.