That area is protected by the state because of the barrier dunes . No breakwall can be built there by law . Property owners in the area need permits from 3 entities to do ANY work on their summer homes .The area is unique and fragile ( and very beautiful ).  If you would rather spend more on gas than kick in a few bucks to the association  , it's your choice . 

The worst part of the channel now is on the lake side. They did a great job dredging last year. A couple hundred feet into the lake and depth is just under 3 feet. I have used the channel for 3 years now and will donate this year to make sure it stays open.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

It's true that there is no steady stream of public funding however I believe a fairly significant sum ($75K rings a bell) was obtained by a congressperson and was pivotal in sustaining the dredging project in '12-13 so there has been some public support.

It's a real shame considering the tax rates that those with property near the water pay.  From what I understand there are significant steps up in rates as you approach the lake so that these (presumably) non-resident property owners foot a significant portion of the municipal an school spending bills (I didn't go out to see but I understand Sandy Creek has quite a lavish High School built recently that's almost out of place vs the local year-round economy).

Considering the closing of the inlet would potentially destroy property values and put a dent in the local economy, If I were a property owner there, I'd be going ballistic for a chunk of my bill to go toward preserving the pond.

Hopefully mother nature will lend a hand - the inlet has moved several times over the last 100 years.