Fingerlakes Campground with nearby good shore/kayak fishing

We are looking for a campground near one of the fingerlakes in June. I have been to Cayuga (Taughannock falls) and Skaneateleas. I like the shore access at Taughannock with the pier right there and the ability to pretty much get anything from the pier. Skaneateleas was good because it was easy smallmouth fishing from the kayak. I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to bring the kayak, but looking for any suggestions. One reason I like Skaneateles is because if I did take the kayak, I'd be able to take my 5 or 3 year old with me to get into some fish. It was a pretty easy lake to learn in a short amount of time.

You could look at Sampson S.P. on Seneca.  Decent shore fishing at times for pike, very easy access to the lakers right out front, great kayak jigging spot.  Assuming the wind behaves, it is a bit exposed.  Trails to explore.   Swimming area if it's warm enough.

Otisco is plenty small enough for kayaking easily. There is camping, cabins, boat rental (both motor and kayak/canoe) and guiding all at the same location. Shore fishing is available from the camping area and docks, the county park, along the road, and at the state carry down area by the causeway.

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Archman,

Keuka State Park has excellent yak/canoe opportunity.

Good entrance into the water and shelter from N/NW winds.

Some fishing at launch site but not as good as other places.

Big swimming area at lakefront so shoreline fishing there might not be so good.

You might be able to bushwack along the easterly reaches of the park and find shorline sites-- but I don't really know.

Great campsites and showers. Good place for kids. Check NYS Park website and turn on satellite view.

Chas.

Penn Yan is downhome, downscale compared to Skaneateles.

It's the Yates County seat and is a real nice little town. It has all the things you'd look for in a big city but on a small scale.

Byrne Dairy, ALDI's,New York Pizzera, McDonalds,Walgreens, gas stations, movie theatre, go kart track, hospital, bait shops/tackle shops,city park at the north end of the lake, linear park up the outlet trail, nice 3-4 block downtown area--stores/shops/restaurants, etc. If you go, be sure to stop it Pinckney's Hardware--an old time place that has lots of various stuff and caters to the cottagers. Windmill is on the East side of the lake--lots of little mom and pop shops, perfect for mom and the kids to go through-- open, I think, on weekends. Seneca Dairy for ice cream.

Boy, I sound like a travel agent but I really like the town.

We live in Rochester and go to Penn Yan from time to time.

Chas

Another vote for Keuka Lake state park. I fish there all the time. Got 45 lakers jigging on the north end June 1st a couple years ago (60 fow). Really need some sharp jigs for lakers (Hermit has them). North end is normally good laker jigging in June (60-120fow). I believe they now have a kayak rack right next to the water near the swimming area. If your wife likes shopping she definately should go to the Windmill (few miles south of Penn Yan) on Saturdays. Keuka is just full of lakers (most 18-22") which are usually hungry. High south winds can make it pretty rough though. There is a small boat launch near the Swiss Inn on the east shore near the end of the bluff. Less problems if do have high south winds. Usually good laker jigging there also. Nice little flat-water stream (Sugar Creek) at the north end. See a lot of kayakers on Keuka. Now if we could only get DEC, NYS Health Dept. to drop the "no lakers to be eaten by women under 50 and kids under 15 " advisory."

Keuka for all the reasons the guys said. You can also head down to Southern end of the lake. Curtis Wright museum as well as other sights in Branchport. And don't forget the wineries. World Class.

Smith Park on Senecca lake was the first camground my wife and kids stayed when we still lived in NJ. First time we visited Finger Lakes and fell in love with the area. Watkins Glen has a lot of things to do and see. The Glen is a beautiful Park to hike. Good shopping and restaurants for the wife and Its not too far to the other Lakes. Roosterfish Brewery in Watkins. :yes:

The one thing I found about the Finger Lakes way back when is that they have great Parks.

Edited by flyak