Yes, generally the outside line is the farthest back.  Line length as it gets closer to the boat shortens.  As far as length it all depends on the species of fish, depth fishing water clarity etc.  I generally so not go back on my outside line farther that 225' (walleyes).  With browns its seems you can get away with shorter outside leads.

I prefer to run all lines the same length.....angle of tow line makes enough difference to allow lines to fall back.....if outside line goes just move next in line to outside

rigger leads are determined by the fish.....I start with 50 on one and 30 on the other and adjust from there

• 2 weeks later...

What about when you want different depths? In NH for landlocks, I like to run 2 or 3 colors of lead early season. Do you guys do that with copper lengths to achieve different depths? I will run 2 colors on my outside lines, then 3 colors on my inside. All my leaders are 75ft long, regardless of color. So if a fish hits the 2 color setup, it swings to the back , but its higher in the water column than the 3 color setup and they don't tangle. I know the difference between 2 and 3 colors is just a few feet, but trying to cover a couple of different depths to find the salmon. So theoretically my 2 color lines are 135ft back and my 3 colors are 165feet back and 3-5feet deeper.