Michigan Stinger Trolling Rig

Anyone using these for lakers?

http://www.mistinger.com/#!stinger-rig/c1538

Ive been using spoons and cowbell / peanut setups for lakers the past few years with great success.  But this new Michigan Stinger rig looks quite nice, and Im hoping it produces less drag when reeling in slobs.

Big Weenie has had those for years, called Grease Traps.

Do they work?  At least as well as cowbell + peanut setups?  I cant keep my cowbells in the water.  They get slammed almost instantly when they hit the bottom. 

Edited by jigstick

We just use cowbell-type rigs/peanuts or spin-n-glo's when looking for the lakers.

I guess those other rigs work, but I've never bought any.

Always remember, that once a fishing lure is purchased, 3/4's of it's job is done..... :)

The reason I am looking for an alternative to the cowbells is because they put a tremendous amount of drag out.  I want to feel more of the fish....and less of the cowbells.

The reason I am looking for an alternative to the cowbells is because they put a tremendous amount of drag out. I want to feel more of the fish....and less of the cowbells.

What brand cowbells are you using? I run the hammerhead and they pull but not that bad. I actually believe that resistance causes less floater lakers. The resistance allows them to come up slower and release air from their air bladder. If it is not broke, don't try to fix it! Stick with what works.

• 2 weeks later...

What brand cowbells are you using? I run the hammerhead and they pull but not that bad. I actually believe that resistance causes less floater lakers. The resistance allows them to come up slower and release air from their air bladder. If it is not broke, don't try to fix it! Stick with what works.

I used to get my cowbell setups at the Buffalo outdoor show.  Some guy had a booth there.  But he wasn't present this time.  His were great.  Had 3 blades of equal size.  I only have one of his left.  So I recently have been using the Luhr Jensen cowbell setups….which I don't really care for.  They have 4 blades, with the leading blade being much bigger than the other three.

Do you have a source for some good cowbells?

The guy at the hamburg show was Jim Piano. He owns Hammerhead charters and tackle. These are the ones I use. Google hammerhead charters and tackle and you will find his site. You can place an order over the phone. His number is on the site.

Edited by GAMBLER

Bro you're awesome.  Those are the cowbells I have been looking for.  Now well see if I can get the Michigan Rig to produce like the Hammerhead cowbells.  Thanks for the link.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok.  This thing sucks.  I fished yesterday targeting lake trout.  I was running two dipsys with spoons, one rigger with a cowbell / peanut, and one rigger with this grease trap.  I must of caught 30 lakers over the course of 3 hours.  and not a single dam fish came off of the grease trap.  I ran a peanut behind it with a 24in lead.  Ran it right on the bottom, a few feet up, and 15 ft up.  nothing.  What am I doing wrong

What lake are you fishing CTA? I find with clearer water or shallower water, lakers are a little more weary. If you are fishing clear water, the grease traps might work better. Like stream fishing, when the water clears, downsize.

I was fishing Erie out of Barcelona. 90 - 105ft of water. Dark Purple Froggy Stinger spoons on the dipsys. Which got hammered constantly 200ft back on a 2 setting. The cowbell was green, black, and silver...with a sherbet peanut....fished right on the bottom...also got hammered. The grease trap was a "silver glow" color with a clown dot peanut...no hits at all. I don't get it.

Cowbells can be run off the weight and set fly,or spoon about 3-4 feet back. I do this on Keuka all the time and don't have the extra drag. Works just fine.