ANY CHARTER CAPTAINS NEED A FIRST MATE?

There are very cool people on this site and I could be surprised Hope I am Once you try n cross line to go from anatuer to pro People get funny. You are no longer are a potential client you are a competitor taking away Buisness. He's not the only one who would like to go down that rd He'd be better if keeping ambitions under radar

Fathobbit, I understand your comments, I have a different outlook and pinciples guiding me in life (sure I stray, we all do).   It is faith and 'Pay it forward'.  If you were to do the good deed and first mate him, have the faith that if he turned pro he would be grateful, become a friend, remember what you did for him, and give you the shout outs telling you where the action is that he found.   Family, Friends and Fishin'

I guess if everyone followed that logic, after this generation of Charter Captains are gone, the industry would die.  Are there some people who take the same view as Fathobbit... likely.  I wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush, however.  Competition will always exist and the Captains who consistently put clients on fish will find more work than those who don't.

The views I am expressing are not my views I have no problem showing Or teaching anything I know which sometimes isn't as mych as others I am not a pro. However I am friends with a handful of capts and guides ( who would never admit it publicly ). and that's the general attitude among them you are potentionally stealing Food of their plate You can all say its wrong and it might be To be an outsider It's hard but not impossible. To break in. You generally know someone to get in. It's usually all word of mouth. IWith all the attention this thread is getting someone might just take him on

I guess if everyone followed that logic, after this generation of Charter Captains are gone, the industry would die. Are there some people who take the same view as Fathobbit... likely. I wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush, however. Competition will always exist and the Captains who consistently put clients on fish will find more work than those who don't.

Correct, everyone wants to be a captain when the fishing is great, but when its dead is where you need to shine. My father drives for me, but if he didn't, I would put the guys # in my back pocket.

It's like a trade guild, it goes from father to son or to a good friend. But then there are Nick and Glen who learned a lot on their own and are now succesful captains.

Get ahold of some guys around where you are, I friended some captains on Facebook even and put my name out there, most guys have their mates now but a lot of them will at least take your number in case they need someone in an emergency situation or if their mate needs a day off. Good Luck!

I was in the same position last year. Found a website with a list if Lake Ontario captains, sent out about fifty emails and got many responses. Most of them being friendly replies just saying how they were set for the year. But all it takes is that one person who may just need someone to fill in. I started part time last year and am now full time this year, running every trip with the captain. Never know if you don't try. Send emails a make phone calls, persistence pays off. Now hopefully you won't steal my job ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First mates these days are very experienced and in most case's could captain a boat but are lacking the license or boat too do it. maybe you could do some observing in tournaments and learn some things.  

First mates these days are very experienced and in most case's could captain a boat but are lacking the license or boat too do it. maybe you could do some observing in tournaments and learn some things.  

Exactly Captains expect you to know everything if and when you get an interview/ a chance to fish with them.

Captains also fish for their living and in many cases pay their mates.  Let them know you will work for tips or even split the tip with the captain.  If you are personable, can drive, and are good with people Im sure someone will help you out.  Get your name and number out there and let people know you can work with little or no notice.

I'm almost foolish enough to try to run a charter boat. I am wondering if established charters ever sell their whole businesses. Clients, boats, tackle the whole thing. Not looking to buy or anything it was just a thought.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i have heard a rumor of a possibility of this happening with a local finger

I'm almost foolish enough to try to run a charter boat. I am wondering if established charters ever sell their whole businesses. Clients, boats, tackle the whole thing. Not looking to buy or anything it was just a thought.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There's one for sale in the classifieds right now.

Edited by Chautauqua Tony

Once you have first mated for a while you would realize that the first make makes more money than the Captain  :rofl:

That's not far from the truth :) .

The captain has to worry about licensing, registration, safety, preventative maintenance, repair, equipment costs, advertising... in addition to putting fish in the boat and providing a pleasant, memorable experience for the clients. I LOVE fishing - but I don't think I'd be a charter captain.