Boater Safty Course

Here is a Question for you..I have been around boats for the last 40 years and may be I don't know everthing I have a lot of experence,I was told by a frind in N.J. that come June in New Jersey every one must take a Boaters safty course or they are breaking the law using their boat.What is the Deal with New York state..Has it become the law that you must have this 8hr. safty course....anybody have the scoop.........Thanks Mick-Fish

I think it ought to be if it isnt. It should be like this. If you currently have a boat registered, you should be grandfathered into not being obligated to take it. If you buy another boat, your registration from your prior boat should be in the DMV computer. This will slowly transition it to everyone who operates a boat will have taken this class. What do you think about this?

Here in Jersey it was broke down by your birthday year. If your were new to boating you had to take the coarse. You would have to be dead not to pass. It was 8 hr’s of going over a book and then the test. We also had a opt out, for $25.00 you could just take the test; witch is what most people did. I took the coarse because my son 16 years old had to take it. I will say even though I was falling asleep by 4pm, it was worth it. I did pick up a few things.

I think it should be done in every state.

At one point in my life, I sold boats and the one thing I did not agree with is that when someone wanted to by a boat, all they needed was money. After that we handed them the keys and away they went. I was on a lake one day and watched a guy pull away from a marina with his new bass boat, hit full throttle and flip it right over.

I haven't heard about this until I read this post. I agree that new boaters should be required to take some form of a boater's safety course. I have seen way too many close calls with new boaters or boaters with very little time at the helm. I'm not saying that all new boaters are uneducated or out of control, but there needs to be some form of education to make them aware and responsible. I feel the same way about PWC users. I took the USCG safety & training course when I was about 12 or 13 years old. My dad put his foot down and made my mom & I take the course because we were spending a lot of time on the boat and he wanted us to both be able to react and know what to do in all instances. The course I took was 8 weeks long and was 2 nights a week for 4 hours per night. It was well worth it, IMO.

no there was no law for boating other then the mentioned PWC clause and the age i think 16yrs as of last year ........ but for the love of God everyone at least take a basic class and the great lake users could save there lives or others by taking a Power Squadron Safty Class..

Some people just don’t use there heads. I don’t know how many times in August and September I heading out to the lake in the dark and come across an anchored or under way boat in the middle of the river with no lights on. Why would you go out that time of year or any time with no lights? I don’t even know if a coarse would help those people. It’s a law and they still don’t do it, I guess we are hiding from the fish.

took one from a retired c.g. commander when i was around 12.took another one last year.in reference to one of the above posts...one of my biggest worries is someday whacking a bass or drift boat on myway in or out.some of them sit so low in the water its near impossible to see them when they are in the trough.same for drift boats.

• 2 weeks later...

No requirement yet for recreational boat operation other than under 18 years of age. ALL PWC operators, regardless of age must complete a boating safety class to operate a PWC. I wouldnt be surprised to see the state start to gradually increase the age for boat operation, same as they did with the PWCs......Take the class!

I agree that boaters ought to take a course. I just went through one to see what it was like and even though I've used boats for years I learned a few things. www.Boat-ed.com has a good course you can take for free, study course and test. If you want to pay 15 dollars they will give you a boater's safety card stating that you passed the test. check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished on-line course on above website. Would recommend:

- good course either as a refresher or newbie

- good general info with state specific info at end

- can do it at your leasure

- easy to navigate thru course

- not bad for kids to understand with a little help

- $15.00 for a certificate.

Shawn