Need some advice on a purchase of a new boat (1987) :)

Kuba

Found a boat that i would like to use for the season, or maybe two. Its a 1987 Crestliner Phantom, all aluminum, 3.0 OMC. Comes with a matching original trailer. Here is a pic of a same model, but with an outboard.

http://tandmmarine.com/boats/Used%20Boats/17ft_crestliner_phantom_001/Used%20Boat%20-%2017%20ft%20crestliner%20phantom%20170/resources/images/medium/_1095591869.jpg

here is the trick, the guy is asking 4200$, it is a one owner boat, both boat and trailer look MINT, and i mean MINT. He kept it all the time in the garage on the trailer etc... Guy is in his 80s and claims he is done with fishing etc.

He has other toys in his garage so i can believe that he kept it inside all the time.

The only thing that im worried about is that OMC "thing". Hours on the boat are unknown. There seems to be a cult of OMC fanatics, on the other hand, people tell me to run from that boat. From what i read over the last two nights OMCs were pretty good when serviced once a year, parts are still available and i can purchase a rebuild unit cheap as well. The 3L engine is a chevy engine and apparently parts are CHEAP and these things are easy to fix. My buddy is a mechanic so im not worried about the engine.

What are your opinions on that OMC montser?

I really like the boat, its not too big not too small, if OMC fails, can it be easily modified to host an outboard?

_1095591869.jpg

When you go to run the motor, run it for a good 1/2 half hour to 3/4 hour, when I bought mine we only ran it for about 20 minutes, not long enough for the temp to go off the end of the gauge, like it did when we lake tested it, of course by then I paid the guy and he was out of the picture. $1800.00 later it doesn't run hot anymore. Long story short the boat sat in a barn for many years with no anti-freeze in the block and the motor rusted from the inside out, looked like brand new outside, but the looks were deceiving, the old fella was a preacher by trade and the hardest man I ever had to deal with. If the boat sat for many years without anti-freeze in it if it isn't a closed water system, I wouldn't buy it without a lake run test, just my inexperience, with boat motors cost me dearly!!  (Thinking I knew)   

You can still get some parts for the OMC motors and lowers but they are becoming harder to come by.  You're better off with a mercruiser outfit. The upper part of the loser units have a tendency to go bad because of water intrusion check all the fluids and like they said above run it for a long time on the muffs.

To have an I/O on a fairly small closed bow boat will take away a lot of work space. Also the I/O will shorten your fishing season and sometimes give you nightmares about possible freezing and cracked blocks.

I am thinking about rebuilding the transom on my Islander and hanging an outboard on it just so I don't have to worry about stuff once it starts getting cold. As for OMC or Mercruiser, There always are a lot of spare parts for mercruisers because there are so many cracked blocks that are cannibalized.

Rolmops, i will be keeping my boat in the garage till fall, after it will sit in heated storage. Do you still think i can have the block crack?

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That certainly lessens the chances of anything bad happening. If you don't use it while it is freezing you should be ok. If you do,make sure to drain the water out of the block at the ramp and do not drive it home in the cold with water in the block.

I'll be in Oakville this weekend, Is there salmon action in the credit,or at the pier of Sixteen mile creek?

Edited by rolmops

I had a 1989 crestliner phantom 18 sportfish with the sst transom.  I had a yamaha 90 hp outboard and a 9.9 4 stroke yamaha on it.  That boat was the wettest riding boat i ever road in.  While fishing i never took the bow cover off.  Many times when running in from ontario i could hardly see where i was going.  That boat looks like it is in great shape and seeing that it is an i/o, which would have more weight in the stern,  it may ride different.  I would take a ride in it in at least a 2 foot shop and see how it goes.

Dave