There has been a lot of talk Lately about the Canadian border fishing, crossing, etc. I have taken many phone calls with regards to regulation that prompted a phone call to both the officials on the Canadian side and the US side. My findings are as follows

US regulation -  US passport is required for a return to the US only after landing on foreign soil.  Calls and reporting in are not required if you have not landed on Canadian soil.

Canadian regulation- This is where it gets a bit difficult as it pertains to the tournament rules. They state that those arriving from the US but not landing on Canadian soil must call at the time of entry. It also states that everyone on board must clear customs which includes observers. Please see the following sent to me and taken from the website

• Kevin see below fact sheet. My contact on the Canadian side suggests contacting the number listed below local boating event section.

Reporting Requirements for Private Boaters

As warm weather returns, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) wishes to remind all private boaters how to report as required by Canadian law, upon entering Canadian waters.

In recognition of the importance of travel and leisure to Canadian communities, the CBSA takes a practical approach to the application of the law. While there are both low-risk and higher-risk private vessels travelling through Canadian waters; we know the majority of private boaters just want to enjoy Canada's coasts and inland waterways.

To make the most of your time on the waters we recommend you:

Never leave home without acceptable identification. It is the responsibility of the owner/operator to ensure all those onboard have proper identification. A valid Canadian passport, while not mandatory, is the preferred piece of identification for Canadians entering Canada. Other acceptable identification includes an enhanced driver's licence, Permanent Resident Card, or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a NEXUS or Free and Secure Trade card for Canadian citizens.

Know what you've got onboard. It's not a problem to bring the food and drinks you need for your trip. When law enforcement authorities patrol Canadian waters, they're looking for signs of higher-risk activities, which could include smuggling goods into or out of the country. Canadian law requires that travellers report to the CBSA when carrying CAN$10,000 or more, or its equivalent in a foreign currency across the border. We recommend boaters carry only what they need for their trip and leave the rest at home.

How to report your entry to Canada:

Planning to "land" your vessel on Canadian soil or did you leave Canadian waters and land on U.S. soil? All private boaters who intend to land on Canadian soil, or who have departed Canadian waters and landed on U.S. soil, are required to report to a CBSA designated marine reporting site. Upon arrival at a CBSA designated marine reporting site, call the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) at 1-888-226-7277 from the phone provided to obtain clearance. Not planning to "land" your vessel or did you leave Canadian waters but did not land on U.S. soil? You still need to report to the CBSA. Certain private boaters may contact the CBSA by calling the TRC at 1-888-226-7277 from their cellular telephones upon arrival in Canadian waters. This includes: Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have not landed on U.S. soil; and U.S. citizens and permanent residents who do not plan on landing on Canadian soil. Private boaters that are strictly weaving in and out of Canadian waters but are not in transit, are required to call the TRC only once at the time of their initial entry into Canadian waters. If this activity changes, i.e., the vessel docks in Canada or takes on new persons or goods while in foreign waters, the boaters must report to a CBSA designated marine reporting site and call the TRC to obtain clearance. All other private boaters, including those without cellular telephones, must proceed to a CBSA designated marine telephone reporting site and place a call to the TRC to obtain CBSA clearance. This includes all vessels carrying individuals who are not Canadian or U.S. citizens or permanent residents. What to expect when calling the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC):

When private boaters call the TRC, they will be asked a series of questions about their trip, any passengers onboard the vessel, and their declarations. After recording the information provided, the CBSA officer at the TRC will determine whether further verification or examination is required. If no examination is necessary, the CBSA officer will provide a report number to the owner/operator. The receipt of this report number will constitute release and approval for entry into Canada.

If a verification or examination is required, the CBSA officer will advise the owner/operator to ensure all goods and passengers remain onboard until the verification team arrives. A report number will be provided following the verification process. Owners/operators should keep their report number available during their entire stay in Canada.

Looking to make the most of your time on the water this summer?

The CBSA's Trusted Traveller programs streamline the border clearance process for pre-approved, low-risk travellers. NEXUS and CANPASS members can provide advance notice to the CBSA at least 30 minutes (minimum) and up to four hours (maximum) prior to arriving in Canada by calling the NEXUS Telephone Reporting Centre at 1-866-99-NEXUS (1-866-996-3987) and 1-888-CANPASS (1-888-226-7277) respectively. For more information on how to apply to NEXUS and CANPASS, as well as the full requirements and benefits of the programs, visit our NEXUS or CANPASS Web pages.

Organizing a local boating event?

Are you organizing a local boating event or fishing derby and wonder how reporting requirements may impact your participants? Contact the TRC as soon as possible at 1-888-226-7277 to discuss clearance procedures for your participants. Ask for the TRC superintendent who can assist you and your participants in complying with reporting regulations, so you can enjoy your time on the water this summer.

Failure to report

While Canadian authorities do not inspect every vessel entering Canadian waters, private boaters are required to obey the law and comply with reporting requirements. Canadian law enforcement authorities do patrol Canada's coasts and inland waterways and have the authority to stop any vessel having recently entered Canadian waters.

Failure to report may result in detention, seizure or forfeiture of the vessel and/or monetary penalties. The minimum fine for failing to report to the CBSA upon entry to Canada is CAN$1,000.

Following enforcement action, all persons have the right to appeal the penalty. An independent third party reviews the elements of the seizure/action and will render a decision. To appeal a seizure or penalty, individuals must send a written submission to the Recourse Directorate of the CBSA. For more information on appeals, visit the CBSA Web site at: www.cbsa.gc.ca. The appeal must be filed within 90 days of the penalty action.

We have always operated in the spirit of the rule to maintain the strategic value of the event. In the past we have all traveled back and forth without regards to the "actual" rules as depending on who you talked to the official rule seemed to change. I made several other calls to ask if the call could be made in the morning before entering Canadian water. I also inquired about pre-qualifying teams  prior to the event as they do in several sailboat races that enter Canadian territory. In both cases the official answer was no that they have no jurisdiction on vessels not in Canadian water and no unless the vessels follow a pre determined route. I realize many have called and received conflicting information as it pertains to the above but we as a tournament committee will use the language as its written as our guide. 

Currently we require each team to follow the letter of the law as it pertains to both reporting and fishing regulations and this year is no different, this is how it plays out in the effort to keep the playing field level. Based on my findings the tournament rules themselves handcuff travel out of the country "no comm" means just that unregulated conversation is not allowed on any device thus calling in at the time of crossing cannot be done. Further we have not required "certified" observers in the past and due to time constraints we cannot  make the change this year to allow for them.

My position has been and will continue to be the least restrictive route as I believe strategy should continue to play an important roll in our tournament. Regretfully as the rules are written travel over the border is nor permitted for this years event. The Wilson Harbor Invitational is a peoples tournament and for next year and beyond it is possible (majority) to make the necessary changes to allow for the changes to permit travel back and forth over the border. I hope in the mean time you can understand the liability this would create for me personally as well as the event itself. If you have questions or concerns please use my email [email protected] or phone 716-863-1001 to discuss the above matter if you feel the need. Please note that regardless of how the rules are interpreted the above should serve as your guide. I will ask be show of hands at the captains meeting how we should proceed in future. Thank you for your understanding........

I have asked you this question already and still waiting

In your rules it states we can go over!

It also states to have licences for both sides

So if we do these things are we disqualified?

Also if we are qualified to go over can we?

What your saying is this has been a rule in the past, the law has not changed! Why Enforce it now?

Many teams have fished over the border since the start of tournament and this was overlooked. In fact it was won there!

In fact we have had to qualify our observer for 3 yrs now and buy licences for the observer coming aboard, I think the observer qualification should be on the captain bringing them on.

Edited by get it wet

Can you explain why after 3 years of being able to cross over the border now we are unable ? This new law has been in effect for two years now??? I contacted the CBSA this week about crossing into Canada(used number listed above in kevins post). I specifically asked if it was allowable to call from the dock in the am before departing. The first person answered yes you may, then I asked to talk to her supervisor. He also stated that you may call from the dock before departure, at that time they would take down all of my information and issue a border crossing number which would be given to any authorities if you happened to be pulled over and checked. I explained the tournament situation to him, his reply was as long as you call and obtain a crossing number you are not violating any rules.

Wilson harbor invitational touts that this tournament is about the entrants, all of the entrants that I have talked to want the option of being able to fish Canadian waters. Why would it even be a big deal if the team actually called upon crossing, come on we all have observers on the boat???

As far as dealing with observers, if a team wants to fish Canada they must bring a observer with a passport and Canadian liscense. In return they get the same. pretty simple and not much extra work for the tournament committee.

"My position has been and will continue to be the least restrictive route as I believe strategy should continue to play an important roll in our tournament."

I agree! It is the captains choice/risk to take the long run as well as possibly being stopped and ensuring he is legal to be in the water he fishes. All strategy!

Pretty disappointed after speaking to both of you on the phone that you would take to the boards to rally the troops. My phone and email are listed and we can continue to converse. Regardless of years past this liability issue is a big one for me. I understand the disappointment but I dont see a workaround for this year. It is my hope we can make the necessary changes to make it happen next. I too have called the above number and have gotten mixed results. In fact in some cases all it takes to to tell them you dont have a cell phone and they proceed to tell you differently. The above content was taken from the website I would say it clearly states what the rule is regardless of what someone says via phone. That plus our non com rule spells it out. In all actuality the tournament itself does not prohibit travel the Canadian government does. I get what you both are saying im a bit offended that you would think this isn't a peoples tournament as we are protecting the integrity by providing a level playing field, and in my next breath providing a platform to make the changes you seek for next year. I would ask you both to get the information you received over the phone in writing as I have done, as it would be a big help in supporting your argument. Bottom line if there is infraction that cost someone a payday it will be my ass and until we have specific rules that support what your asking I cant look the other way as there were several people last year that I know were ticketed. Once again my email [email protected] and my phone 716-863-1001   

I wanted to fish Canadian waters, and made sure my team was clear to fish over there, but when I called I was told calling anytime other than when we crossed the boarder would be invalid. That's the biggest problem here is Canada can't give a straight answer. Some people are told one thing others are told another. This is why huge fines were given a few years back when there were grey areas.

This wasn't an issue the first year of the event because the rules changed after that, and the last two years there was no real need to go to Canada. As a matter of fact if you did cross the boarder in the last year or two during this event you were breaking a federal regulation for not calling into customs, and if you called you broke a rule of the tourney.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Kevin

I asked you three times about this

Your saying my government is who is saying we're not allowed

So your saying go at own risk ? Because your rules states we can go!

Pacific time hit it on the head. We have qualified our observers for past yrs I think it's up to everyone to do the same if they want to go over.

Your tourney is at he best level I have seen on Great Lakes. But now a game changing rule. This should be the captains responsibility to provide someone capable if your going over. Many teams have done this in past yrs.

So the question is here again

If we go are we disqualified? Are you changing your rules today ?

Kevin

Pacific time hit it on the head. We have qualified our observers for past yrs I think it's up to everyone to do the same if they want to go over.

Your tourney is at he best level I have seen on Great Lakes. But now a game changing rule. This should be the captains responsibility to provide someone capable if your going over. Many teams have done this in past yrs.

How do you call in with No Comm?

Hey rick you saying that the winners cheated 2 yrs ago or tourney commited overlooked this rule

Nope, they didn't. They fished out the front door, and last year Pacific Time won it inside of the US boarder. It was won the first year in Canada when it wasn't an issue to cross over.

I like the decision.  I got pulled over at the St Lawrence last year and was given a warning and I swear I was on the American side.  Many incidents last year up there.  Folks lost boats and big fines were levied.  It also makes swapping observers a huge headache to who has the documentation and who doesn't.  I will be up next week and I wont even go over there during the LOC.  Way to much of a hassle and too much risk if coming over from the US side by water. Also way too much conflicting information for me to risk losing my boat not too mention the fines as well.

RR

So no winners caught fish in Canadian waters? Not just first place

Any prize money?

I personally wasn't close enough to the boarder to see if anyone went over the last two years, and no teams submitted any protests against it. You can speed down the QEW and get away with it until you get caught.

Kevin has given the captains the ability to sit down and discuss this rule and any changes for future events. He has done his HW on this and talked with both agencies. He's tried to get us a free pass for the day, but they wouldn't have it. Instead of complaining about it to us try to lobby your government to change the rule.

Work with us and not against us with this issue. Complaining and ****ing on forums does nothing but give people a bad taste about tourney fishing. It does no good for the sport, or any of OUR events.

Edited by Yankee Troller

its pretty simple - if you plan on going to Canadian waters to fish you must declare your intent with Canadian border patrol BEFORE you leave the dock - the "no comm" rule is still in effect. OR change the rule which would allow communication only to declare your intent to go into canadien waters. your observer is on the boat and can verify and allow this. stop all the non-sense. we were the farthest team out of port last year about 12 miles still not at canadien line. 5-7 footers every team was way inside. shoulda won caught 4 kings and came in 5th. lost two at the boat ah well. kevin good job ! 

I see nothing simple about it. Do you call before leaving the dock or when you hit the fence. I guess it depends on who answers the phone. Cant call once the tournament starts. What if there is an odd number of boats? Someone won't get a properly documented observer? Too many unanswerable questions. Were all in the boat here as far as the fishing is concerned. We will just have to figure it out within the waters we are permitted to fish.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Kevin

Yup. Again, according to the WRITTEN statement given to Kevin, you need to call at the border. So, if its a no comm tourney, your s"!t out of luck or call and get the DQ. This is so simple to see. Give Kevin a freaking break and let's work on it for the future. Geez

Guys let's give Kevin some credit here... He's built a great tournament and is protecting us from ourselves.... I'm a prime example of when the Canadian customs want to be dicks they can be.... I was fined a grand a few years ago because the 15 minutes it took me to dock and get to a phone was " too long", not to mention the moron had no clue what an enhanced license was.

I had planned to fish canada too but at least we know in advance and can plan accordingly.... Kevin isn't the one to blame it's the candian border system

Yup. Again, according to the WRITTEN statement given to Kevin, you need to call at the border. So, if its a no comm tourney, your s"!t out of luck or call and get the DQ. This is so simple to see. Give Kevin a freaking break and let's work on it for the future. Geez

Well said! Plan your strategy accordingly this year and hopefully next year this issue will have been worked out. Keep up the great work Kevin!!