Question for people with small boats using a mast and big boards

I have a 16ft aluminum boat. I'm almost done building a mast that will fit into my front seat pedestal. I'm wondering how I should go about setting my rod holders up. I've never used big boards so this is all new to me. If anyone has pictures of how they set there rods up it would he great. Should the rods go in the front or in the back of the boat. That kind of stuff. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When I used a mast on my almost 19 foot (18-10)open bow Sylvan, I had them the same way. Small boats tend to fish solo often and the easiest way to see what is happening is to have the rods close together and easy to see. Once you get a hit you can change the rods to different rod holders that are farther forward. The trick is to have plenty of rodholders and to use the ones that are most convenient in the given situation.

Edited by rolmops

In my 18 ft'r, fishing solo with two rigg'rs & one board - all three rods are in adjacent holders rear of boat.  Board rod on the outside.  The fish care about where the lures are, my neck cares where they rods are, where I'm going and what's in front of me. :)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

in a small boat the rod holders can often be closer togather make sure the front most rod holder is the same height or taller then the next one back for running boards.  I made this mistake and it puts the inside board rod tip higher than the outside rod tip this is a disaster when a fish hits.  I remember the first time i set them i looked at it and scratched my head for a few minues trying to figure out why i didnt like it than the fish hit and i knew. usually I only one one board line one dipsey and one rigger per side so i didnt notice the problem untill i was spring brown fishing the next year.

P.S. my boat is only 14 foot so space is a premium a good board across the back is a wonderful thing 

I use Great Lakes Planers triple trees on my little boat for my big board rod holders. Mounts are custom. My GLP planer mast is on the bow.

post-151421-13983916246163_thumb.jpg

post-151421-13983916395029_thumb.jpg

Edited by FleetTracker

I prefer the great lake planers vertical trees they allow you to swivel the whole tree so the rods face away from the boat.  I find that having the rods perpendicular to the boat help keep more tension on the line when fish hit.  

This is especially important when walleye fishing because of the soft mouth those tricky critters have.

Here is how I have my boat rigged, but this year I have a better mast. Those vertical rod holders work great they also have enough snuff to hold 2 or more dipsys per a side. FWIW we were running 10 lines that day for walleye.

IMG_20130509_125204_zpsu8xryfxt.jpg

Here is a side view

20130421_124234_zps609b448e.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

You can see my setup on this video. 

I like the trees and I often wrap the board tether line around the top of the tree.  Handy to hook releases to and more importantly, it can't get hooked on the rods/reels on turns.  

Your boards seem like they are really far behind the boat.  Were you running some hard pulling baits?  Mine are usually no more than 10' behind the boat.

Edited by Chas0218

Those towers are awsome. Very price tho. Someday.....

No more than a 36" track and 3 burts.  Mine are all permanent and not in a track. $189 is not a lot for a vertical quad rod holder the triples are $164. 

One of the burts trees are $245.

Here is the site: http://greatlakesplaners.com/store/products.asp?cat=10&pg=2

Edited by Chas0218