Cayuga 04/25

Fished south end. We were on the water by 8am. Went 8 for 10. Two salmon one Brown and 5 Lakers. Biggest Laker was about 7-8 lbs, released her kept a few for a fish fry. Still 36.7 main lake temp. South end a few degrees warmer. Salmon measured out at 24" hot spoons were alpha alewife and FLT custom 42nd. Stick of the day was a very old rainbow yozuri. :wub: Lakers down chute by the yacht club, 84 and 120 down caught on FF. bait still super deep.

Salmon and Brown caught shallow 30' or less. One small lamprey on Brown all others clean!

Good luck guys! post-150622-13984598143598_thumb.jpg

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

Nice going! healthy looking Landlock too. Good to see without those damned lampreys dangling from them :)  The water temp on the surface of Canandaigua today was 40.2 in most places ( much smaller lake too) but I was fishing for perch today solo....until the wind blew me off the lake. Sounds like you had a lot more fun than I did :lol:

Good point.....even a bad day of fishing is much better than a good day at work :lol:  Didn't do much because of the wind released what I caught because not enough to mess with cleaning. Oh well always next time>>>>

Huh never thought about that before, they probably do stop feeding when spawning like the other fish do.  Good thought. Might explain why I remember only getting small ones last April (6-10") and none of the big mommas.   Anyone get fish with mature lamprey in late April or early May? They are probably getting ready to spawn though it'll be a few weeks before they run the creeks.

Edited by hermit

The lampreys do stop feeding to spawn but that is the most fish caught without marks I've heard about but I did se one hitcha ride to the inlets headwaters on a rainbow. My buddy put his lifting skills to the test and got the trout and released it sans lamprey. Now that's lifting I can condone. Congrats on the good day.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We were out today boated a dozen or so LLs & Browns all had lamphrey scars but no eels were attached.

where did you fish out of?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by sammyslayer

Yeah it's not in the lake out of the boat, but I've caught 50 rainbows and 2 browns since 4/1 in one cayuga trib and the majority of the fish have had a lot of lamprey damage. Some with fresh wounds too. Another thing I've noticed is that this years average size of rainbows in this trib is smaller than the 55 I caught last April. Being said I got a few fish and saw others with smaller (6") lampreys attached last year. This year I have seen none. Just throwing out there what the tributary fish are looking light. Tight lines!

With what I've read the DEC will resolve the lamphrey issue in time. I try not to target Lakers unless I have to to catch fish, with that said I'm hoping the silver fishery on Cayuga will get better. So from what I read on this post the fish with scars are from Lamphreys that have dropped off to spawn? Is this what I'm hearing?

With what I've read the DEC will resolve the lamphrey issue in time. I try not to target Lakers unless I have to to catch fish, with that said I'm hoping the silver fishery on Cayuga will get better. So from what I read on this post the fish with scars are from Lamphreys that have dropped off to spawn? Is this what I'm hearing?

spawn and DIE !!!!

I believe the "silver" fishery in Cayuga is ok for the Salmon and browns but the rainbows are in trouble. When compared to Seneca, Cayuga has very few bows. Hearing that someone has caught fifty plus bows while they are spawning is a bit scary for the fish, but you have every right to do that....

I certainly hope the DEC does it's part to eliminate as many lamprey as possible! Is it at epidemic proportions? Not yet... close though.

As for targeting Lakers we love em deep fried or on grill with salsa on top, I try to let the 8lbers go but keep a few smaller fish. hopefully the big ones bite on tournament days!

Good fishing guys!

Lack of lampricide at fish ladder for past few years, there were a few posts about the problem on LOU, I will look back in posts and try to add link.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/index.php?/topic/41205-Lamprey-eels#entry268369

Edited by Nautitroller

There's nothing that scares me about catching that many stream rainbows. What does scare me is that there is still a 3 day bag limit. I think a slot limit and 1 fish per day is needed. By the way, all the trout I caught have been successfully realeased

Cool, I used to fish them too tied my own egg sacks whole nine yards, I agree that the bag limit should be reduced, but we can't fish for walleye while they spawn why can we fish for bows? Traditions I guess, there was a time that the inlet was loaded with fish, But after the train wreck in 97 the fishing has never been the same, killed a few generations of fish, conrail did nothing to help restore the stream after 600 plus gallons of diesel spilled.

So, when one releases a fish and it "swims" away.....does that mean it survived ?  I thought I read here recently that an angler was very disturbed at having a great torture- and-release day and returrned the next day to the same spot and was agahst at finding many dead trout. Why not fish and if one is privileged to catch a limit, call it a sport and stop targeting/fishing for them ? Go pick some fiddleheads or morels, and pull some wild onions !

Onions don't fight back. I released most of mine and upon returning day after day the same fish would be around doing what they do but much spookier. So really if we revive carefully as we all should the fish learns and spawns without being caught and kept. Just an opinion based on what I see.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For what it is worth, the Conrail diesel oil spill on Cayuga Inlet in 1997 was about 5000 gallons, according to Conrail's our estimates. A study by the University of Wisconsin puts the spill at 26,500 liters. I don't care to do the math to see how the estimates compare, either way it was a large spill on a relatively small stream.

Also, lampreys don't drop off of their victims to spawn. They suck the available body fluids and then move on to their next meal.