GPS/Chartplotter suggestions

Misty IV

I'm looking for a new GPS/Chartplotter to replace my Raymarine RC425 which is no longer serviceable according to Raymarine. I loved the unit for all the years I've had it, but I've had it back to Raymarine twice for issues, and now I find out that the Navionics card for the unit is bad and no longer available or supported. Hence, I'm in the market for a new unit.

I don't need anything fancy, but I don't want a plain-Jane unit either. I like that I'm able to link the GPS to the Raymarine fishfinder I use. I'd like to stick with a Ray model, but I've seen some nice units from Garmin and Humminbird, too.

I've heard some negative feedback about Lowrance, and the last Lowrance fishfinder I had on the old boat gave me nothing but problems; left me with a negative attitude. Perhaps they've changed, perhaps not.

What is everyone using these days? Open to all suggestions. I'd like to keep the cost under $700, color screen, if possible. I only fish on Lake Ontario. Thanks.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Thunderbolt using the Lake Ontario United mobile app

Have a look at the Garmin Echo Map 50 the map draw time is very fast . Great card maps available Blue chart, Vision Card and the new HD series all great lake Ontario data . Add a transducer and you also have a great sounder . I own five Garmin units on two boats easy to use and great factory support with updates etc and all have been trouble free.

Thanks for the replies. I spent time this weekend on each manufacturer's webpages comparing, and things are definitely comparable brand to brand.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Thunderbolt using the Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bought a 859 humminbird for 600 love it 7" screen don't need extra maps. Only thing is no nmea connector for your VHS radio

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Dont know if I can pass up the $100 rebate on the Lowrance Elite 7 base combo (not Chirp). I can see why they are all rebating them with the new Chirp line coming out.