Putting brakes on a boat trailer?

power dive

There are bolt on  kits.  You get the surge coupler , run brakelines to the axle and put calibers and discs on each wheel.   Boatbandit.com had the kits.  I have been thinking about doing it with my Islander , It has the same single axle as yours.

I have a 221 Islander and wouldn't think of towing it without brakes on the trailer. They've saved me a few times in the 8 years I've owned it.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Thunderbolt using the Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do you trailer your boat big Dave how does your boat trailer with single axle and no brakes?

Sent from my C771

Tows fine with my F-150.  I know that trailer brakes would be better though.   Would help in the panic stop , should that ever happen.

My 221 islander has the surge brakes however they no longer work. I have towed it 2 times now to lake o. On i90. My trailer has double axles. I have towed it with a honda pilot and our tv which is a duelie. I should get the brakes fixed but never really felt uncomfortable trailering it's however haven't had to stop quick yet either

I bought an axle and brake kit from Champion Trailer a while back for my old boat.  Very good service and the kit had everything in it, including zip ties.  Their axles have a great set up for greasing (fresh grease ends up in the back of the hub).

Electric brakes are better. They work off your brake light signals and they need a back up release to launch your boat. Some states have laws requiring brakes on 1,000 pound trailers and like to issue citations to out of staters.

My Surge breaks don't work either. Brought it to a trailer shop & he told me better to switch to electric . To many issues w/ surge.Big Bucks . A friend of mine is going to do his best to try & revive the surge for a cost savings to me. Worked great when new & after being rebuilt one time before. Would pull the truck back kind of when applied . I don't like trailering it without them.

If you aren't planning on running the trailer in salt water just throw on some electric brakes.  I replaced my surge style with electrics and haven't had an issue in 3 years.  The only difference is the backing plate is galvanized and uses the piston at the tongue to apply pressure to the pads via lines.  They don't recommend electrics to be submersed but the magnets are completely sealed and are easily replaced.  They also allow you to use a standard brake controller which makes it a lot easier.

You would probably be safe with only adding brakes to 1 axle.  How much does your boat weigh?  Generally a 2.25" dexter setup will handle 3500 lbs.

Edited by Chas0218

I doubt its more than 2800lbs. loaded.  According to NADA your boat's dry weight is 1600 with the engine. So one set of the 2.25" x 10" drums would do it.  I would also check to see if your trailer has the bracket that holds the backing plate already attached.  If not you will need to take your axle out and have one welded on or buy a new axle. I would look into www.etrailer.com for parts and assemblies.  They generally have the best prices.

Edited by Chas0218

Perfect timing. I'm debating whether to upgrade my surge brakes to disc or maybe go to electric. While checking my brakes out this evening I realized I blew a rear seal, probably over greased. Time for a total rebuild. Bad timing but better than breaking down on I-90 which I have done before!

Just finished running all new brakes on my dual axle venture trailer.  I already had brakes on one axle but not on the other....the brakes I did have were junk.  Make sure you are cautious when purchasing a new coupler/master cylinder.  You should know that the outlet hole on your master cyliner will be different depending weather or not you have disc or drum brakes. The outlet hole for drum brakes is very small.....almost a pin hole. The Hole for disc brakes is larger allowing more fluid to escape the master cylinder faster.  If you have the wrong master cylinder you will blow out your brand new wheel cylinders.  I ordered everything from Tie Down Engineering Very happy with how they turned out. 

Be careful with dual brake setups on tandem axle trailers.  If you brake hard and lock up the trailer wheels you will most likely jack knife versus having only 1 out of the 2 axles with brakes.