Spoons for browns

For me, I prefer green and yellow for browns and rainbows if the water is clear. In muddy water, silver and red or copper. Great Lakes Lure co. offers a line of trolling spoons that rattle (called rattlers). They seem to be very effective under a wide range of circumstances, especially muddy water. 

Asking a fella what lures he prefers is almost like asking what type of women he likes. Your likely to get a wide range of answers. 

As far as browns, the majority of browns I catch seem to like the Oakie Doakie, which is 5.25 inches long. (without hook)

There is probably no right or wrong answer, just a matter of personal preference, established from years of experience. For example, Iron Duke and I each have over 30 years of experience fishing, yet we both have different preferences as to lure choice. One thing for sure, if your in fish but they are not hitting, its time to start changing lures and speed till you find what works. 

Jason

spring browns are ferocious eaters and will hit most anything that is properly presented...  with that said size more that color has a bigger impact on success, and size can change day to day depending on the forage that is availible.  IMO   so break out the wallet and stock up!!!  :)

Nope not really, In the past I have ran only spindocs and flies. I'm looking at becoming more diverse because I never catch any browns or rainbows on those.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your main problem my be temp. if your fishing cold water depth your lures maybe too deep for the bows and browns  and some landlocks....... park some thing OUT OF TEMP. and see what happens......

I now use spoons about 85% of the time for every thing but I have at  least one lure up hi......

Copyofforthedesktopputer196.jpg

and as far as trolling speed for these spoons what do you fella's find is the best speed.  When I use Spin docs and flies for lakers, I find that 1.75 - 2.0 mph gives me the most consistent action.  From what I have read, browns and rainbows like there lures presented a little faster.  Around 2.25 - 3.0 mph.  What I am wondering is can I troll around 2 mph with spoons on my downriggers and Flasher and Fly on copper for a mixed presentation to try and catch some Lakers AND Browns and Bows?  Or will such a slow troll not produce many browns and bows off my spoons?

My experience has taught me that every make of spoon has a sweet spot, alpena diamonds will take fish at 1.4 mph but not at 3.2 mph were nk-28 's pound the fish , sutton lite. Will run and take fish even slower than alpena's. The same goes with stick baits, jointed runs different than non- jointed, spiney's run better at 2.8 than they do at 2.4 where the e- chip paddle shine. Just my thoughts so don't use any of this info. If your fishing the Barney spring dèrby!!!

• 3 weeks later...