Shelf Life on Fishing Line?

Hi guys,

I was wondering what poeple think about shelf life on fishing line. Example i bought a big spool of big game 25lb test last spring and i still have half the spool left stored it in the shed all year. do you think its still good.

thanks,

Pat

keep it cool and outa the sun and it will be fine ...........i have some thats 30 yrs old and just as good as the day it was made problem with extremely old stuff was the technology when it was made few years no problem if stored proper(from my humble experience)

ITB - Ray's right, you have to keep it out of the sunlight & out of the heat. If, when your spooling up, you notice a white powder forming on your fingers then it's time to get rid of it.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

For what it's worth, one of the most respected charter captains on the lake once told me that they'll take their old chalky line and put it in a 5 gallon pail with HOT water and then spool it directly from the HOT water onto their reels. I guess they have a 5 gal pail specially rigged up so that the spool site in there properly. They claim that the hot water puts the moisture back into the line and its no longer chalky. Not necessarily recommended for tournament time, but more than ok for weekend warrior duty!