Wanted Need a new motor

Bought a new (old) boat last fall. Filled it up and found water shooting out of the water jacket...both sides. Need a new one!

5.0 liter (305ci) Mercruiser. It will take a 305 or 350. It is a 1987 model, but I don't think that matters much. I am not a motor expert. Looking for something I can drop in. Peripherals like starter, power steering pump, etc I can handle swapping. 

Call/text 585-281-6616

-Mike

What do you mean by water out of the water jackets?  Are the drain valves shut all the way?  When the person winterized the engine they might have left the drains open.

Any junk yard motor will work all you have to do is change the cam out and put your intake and exhaust manifolds on it. you could run it all season and do a rebuild in the off season.

The water jackets are split wide open. That's what I'm asking for is a used block, maybe someone has one available on the cheap? I spent all my money buying and rigging the boat, buying all the tackle, and fillin the gas tank! post-153722-13988585226225_thumb.jpg

Ouch, I was hoping for the best.  I know A&P auto in Palmyra sells used engines. Probably run you around $500 for complete motor they might tear off the stuff you don't need and give you a better deal.

I would guess if the water jacket is that bad then the heads might be cracked as well. 

You can epoxie the cracks in the water jacket as long as there is no water getting into the Oil system.  The system in my old boat used lake water in the block.  The inside of the block was fine , no water getting into the base.   Epoxied it up and ran it for years.  "V"  ed out the cracks  and used the marine tech . to seal them up.

Just saw the picture , thats more than a crack  :puke:  :(

Edited by Big Dave

I found this stick type epoxy that's rated for 700f and specifically says "marine engine block" in the recommended uses section. What do I have to lose? Gonna give it a shot. Still want a new motor if anyone is selling one!

I was uncertain about mentioning that, I had a 140hp I/o that was reapared that way, I used the motor for 3 years, then sold the boat. I told the new buyer that the block was repared and he told me he had one that was repared also, it didn't seem to bother him any. The block was froze and pushed out above the oil pan and a machine shop reared the block, and he told me I wasn't the first one he did this type of repare to. I pulled the motor out and he did a low pressure leak down test and it passed, so I put the motor back together and used it for 3 years like that. I will say that the first year it developed a small drip in the patch but it sealed up till the end of the season, it was a little nerve racking at first.

I have extra heads for this motor if you would like then you can have them. Came off a running motor with bad rings

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app