To remove treble or not,

Chas0218

That is the question!  Should I remove the front treble on my stickbaits or leave it.  I have only had 1 walleye ever get caught on the front treble but I am not sure if it will change the lure and cause it to do circles under the boat. I can take it off and see what it does in the water next to the boat but not sure if it will change below the surface.

The main reason for me to remove it is so netting and removing the fish from the net is easier.

I would be doing this on Storm thunder sticks, smithwicks, bombers, and maybe my husky jerks.

I have removed the front hooks on many of the Renosky's I run for walleyes.  With those it seems that you definitely get a wider wobble, but I can't really say that they have caught more fish because of it.

Ya that was what I plan on doing but thought maybe someone else has tried it.  I'm not really looking for higher catch rates that would be bonus but looking for easier netting and moving the fish from the net.  I have a treated net but I still seem to get hooks in it.  I figure with 1 less treble there is 1 less hook to mess with.

Ever tried replacing the trebles with singles? Might change the action, but I think it would accomplish what you are trying to do.

Tried that but a small enough single on the front hook won't fit a split ring thru it.  My other thought was to bend the front barb of the treble against the shank.

I've taken the front treble from some sticks in the past for the very same reason and most can tolerate it well but I've always left the small split ring on there to minimize the weight differential. The one lure I don't mess with however is Rapalas because they seem very "touchy" regarding weight differences or even minor adjustments of any kind (they are very "responsive" to changes of any sort)....Rebels, Smithwicks, Storms etc. seem to be less so.

Edited by Sk8man

I also remove the front hooks on most of my trolling sticks. The bigger Rapalas (F-18's) don't seem to be effected.. I don't run the small ones so I don't know about them. The Renosky's also get new rear hooks. I love the lures.. but hate the factory hooks! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Im stubborn about leaving trebles on.  I have caught fish on the front hook trolling and casting, but it isnt often.  When Im casting a stick with 3 trebles I have taken the front hook off for more bouyancy.  With f18s 95% of the eyes I get are on the middle hook.  If I was releasing fish Id go to a single hook or remove 1, but Ill pick hooks out a net for a walleye.  I really dont have much of a problem since I went to a plastic coated net.  Let us know how the experiment works chas!

The main reason for me to remove it is so netting and removing the fish from the net is easier.

We used to spend about 30minutes per fish trying to get the hooks out of the net, wasting a lot of valuble time on a short/hot bite. We ruined a lot of hooks too, that were stick in the mesh. Switched to the black rubber net and haven't had any problems since.

Leave the front hooks on,......that once-in-a-lifetime fish may hit from the front!

Edited by devoknevo

The small light wire hooks on most Rapala's are fine for small walleyes but larger hooks are needed to hold onto the big Mama's. I have had Kings straighten the hooks on J13's several times.

Ok thanks guys! I will on one side of the boat just cut off the front hook of the treble to see if it saves time. The other i will remove it completely to see if it effects the performance or fish catching ability.

Like Justin said.  If you  aren't releasing the fish, I would stay with the trebles and add Devo - invest in a rubber coated net to save time.  The only reason I steer away from my cranks is because I am in in catch and release mode and I do not like seeing the fish all tore up.  I catch a lot of fish, especially on Keuka, with disfigured mouths from getting hooked too well. 

Saturday, I plan on getting some fresh fish so everything in the Plano is game.  Already starting to dream about it.

Chas, you could keep the weight balance the same and add ease of untangling in the net by just pinching the barbs down.

Joe

Chas, as other fishermen have stated....Renoskys are set up by Lake Erie fishermen by upgrading the size of the rear treble and replacing the front treble with an additional split ring to balance the bait.  I know fishermen who swear by this set-up recounting running them side-by-side with stock set-ups with the stock set-ups drawing dead while the modified stickbait gets hits repeatedly.  There must be something to the action or the added clicking of the split ring??  Point being is it must be action related.  Try different modifications and see what works.

IMO:  It def alters the wobble.  Last fall i was casting for eyes on Oneida and lost the front treble on a rattlin rogue. I kept fishing without it and either the bite shut completely off or they didn't like the new action.  I leave them on as...much of a pain in the arse they can be.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

Alright so here is an update.  I noticed most if not all of my baits I used only had 2 hooks except my smithwicks.  Almost all the fish I caught over the weekend ended up being caught on the first and second hook of the smithwicks and the first hook on the other baits.  I decided against removing the treble.  

I did experiment with one of the baits I removed the treble.  The action was changed but the bait would not track right no matter what I did. Also bending 1 of the barbs really didn't do anything for removing fish from the net.

Sometimes it works in your favor.  I have a Rebel stick that had two small trebles on it.  I took the front one off and put a larger one on the rear.  Now instead of just vibrating, it vibrates like normal but also slashes back and forth like it's behind a dodger.  Catches a lot of fish and there have been several days it's the only lure to take fish.  So now I'll often play with the hooks, sometimes they're okay to switch around sometimes not.  I'll always take the front treble off of sticks with 3.