i just broke off my lead line yesterday to make it 5 times in 2 years.it breaks at either the rod tip or the release on the church board 90% of the time ,sometimes it doesnt matter.is it me or do others have the same problem?i run 27# thats made in massachusetts i think.figured maybe i had a chipped guide but its fine,i cant figure it out.is there one brand better than the other?really sucks at 20 bucks a pop and 20 minutes to respool. HELP!

seeforellen,

It maybe the release you use on your church board. If you pinch down hard on the lead it damages the lead under the sheathing. Over time it will frey through the outer layer of the lead core and break off.

pretty much with lead is you let it all out and get to your backer for releases and (sharp bends)at the rod tip otherwise you will be breaking the stuff i have a full core and a half core on board for diff depths.if ya got a good rodholder and you loosen your drag enuf where your comfy leaving your lead core rod aming sorta straight back then you can get away with letting out less than full core if needed with the lead still in the guids but even then i make myself go back on ocasion and let out a few more inches as to not frey the line ..i think its the broken lead wearing from the inside out not the rod tip wearing the outside first.

Are you clipping the leadcore into the release? If so, I'd try to avoid doing that. Leadcore isn't made to be twisted and pinched like you can get away with on monofilament. We let all of the leadcore out into the water and then clip the backing material into the release and almost never break the core off.

I'd try to put all of the core in the water. If you repeatedly let the core out with less than the full core in the water and stop at the same spot every time the core will rub on the rod tip and eventually break inside the sheath at the rod tip. Once the core is broken inside the sheath, it starts cutting the sheath from the inside out and eventually it'll break off. The same thing is probably happening where you're putting it into the release on the board.

We run 5 seperate leadcore rods...a 2, 4, 6, 8, and a 10 color core so that we can let all of the core into the water and clip the backing material into the release. If all you have is a single 10 color and you like to run it at let's say either 5 colors or 10 colors, try putting a 2-3' splice of mono after the 5th color. That way you can let out 5 colors and clip the release into the mono rather than on the core itself. I've heard of guys who splice mono after every two colors for the entire length of the core. But whatever you do, try to avoid twisting, pinching, or breaking the core inside the sheath.

Hope this helps.

I use a rubberband when connecting the leadcore to the in-line board. Also I've only broke 1 core in 4 years running it at any color off the back of the boat. I'm either lucky or because I don't pinch the core on any release, I have no pre-existing bad spots to wear down.

As long as we are on the core kick, how old can leadcore be and still be good?? I bought a rod and reel with leadcore already on it and I don't know the age. The colors look pretty good if that's any indication?? Or should I just not chance it and buy new?? How much floro leader do most guys run??

Any help will be reall appreciated.