Troutman Torpedo weights

I bought a pair of torpedo weights from Troutman a month ago (excellent service, and excellent quality by the way).   Nice and shiny at this point.

Just wondering if I need to paint them?    I'm going to guess there are two camps on this one.   Does it matter to the fish if they are shiny or black?

Majority wins.    

Oh, and if I need to paint them...suggestions for what to use, prepping them would be helpful as well!

Thanks in advance, 

Jim

Edited by JimB

I have no issues handling the lead...heck...people say I ate a lot of paint as a kid.

Should have said...will it effect the fishing if I leave them alone?    More hits with them black, or with them unpainted?

I run flashers off of at least one, so it's in relatively close to the ball.....

I put a couple coats of Plasti-Dip on mine. It makes a nice barrier coat. Make sure that you do it outside...stinks.

I don't know if it helps catching fish, but I don't think that it hurts.

I've been using the Plasti-Dip since the1980's and it hasn't impacted the fishing in the least. It comes in a dip can (which is much too small for inserting the weights but it can be brushed on for thicker coats) or spray cans for thinner coats (e.g. touch ups etc.) I switched to black from red a few years ago although I don't see much difference in the results. I have also used it for coating my sinkers for Seth Green rigs which minimizes the direct handling of the lead and possible contamination (e.g eating your sandwich after retrieving uncoated weights or sinkers).

Edited by Sk8man

I left mine raw and did not do as well as when they were painted black. I use the high temp engine paint, it's enamel based and gives a good hard coating.

Sent from my thinking car!

fin-addict,

We get them from a guy named Harvey who lives in Watkins Glen. I just met him the other day and what great guy to talk to and he really knows his stuff about Seneca Lake fishing. Had a blast listening to him. Great guy and great service. Here is a link to one of his classifieds posts;

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/35828-16-pound-torpedo-weights-finally/ 

Just PM him, he goes by Troutman 87 and he will hook you up. 

2nd on the truck bed liner spray, although I've never worked with the plasti-dip.  Any coating is nice, keeps the lead from marking up the boat deck during transport.   Does anyone know if the 16 lb with a subtroll probe will pull on a Mag 10 STX rigger alright?