Painted Spoons

Morning Guys. Happy Easter. I was going thru my lures the other day and I have a bunch of double sided painted lures mostly NK'S, along with some yecks.Most are black and white,yellow and white,white on white with tape ect. Now back in the 80's when I used to fish more we used these lures a lot. But now with the clear water I don't think they will work all that great except maybe down deep? Should I keep them in my box or make room for some new ones? The past couple years of being on LOU I have not heard much about them. Any opinions? Thanx

FA? - Before you can them, get yourself some ladderback tape. Try the silver, purple, greens & glows. Also some medium/large size eyes. (i.e make up some "spooks") Remove old tape (I use UN-DO to remove old tape) Try this on the black & white spoons.

On the white & white ones, try some of the "Mountain-Dew" tape. (I'd try 1/2 pc of the "full blank" tape on them)

On the Yellow & white, get some orange, red or even pink full strips. Use a paper punch to cut out some dots. I'd try a "five of diamonds" type pattern.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I agree, you may be able to reinvent some of the old spoons. Get rid of all the old stickers, and get back to just the blank. You can go on any spoon manufacturer web sites and use the pictures of their color schemes to reproduce on your spoons with new stickers. Lazer flash ladder back stickers, glow crush, hologram die tape etc. etc. will be able to bring your old spoons up to speed with what is working now. Sometimes, your invention will be different enough to what everyone else is using, that you may stumble onto a "hot" pattern all your own. Great for cabin fever.

On the bright sunny days you want a spoon that does not have a silver back if you are fishing up high. Copper or white backs work well for me on those bright days. As a spoon flashes thorgh the water the sun tends to magnify the silver reflection and make the lure look much larger than it is in the water. It's good to have some less reflective lures on certain days.