Fished Keuka today from the Branchport launch. Caught 8, lost 2, all lakers. Fished in front of the launch till 10, then headed to the bluff. Couldn't seem to catch anything but lakers. Fish are spread out all over.  Seems like the weigh in will be a lot of Laker only limits. Any one having any luck on keuka with anything besides lakers? 

post-154630-0-84466200-1399063987_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-57403200-1399063999_thumb.jpg

Jason

The off fish bite is really tough of recent years.. They're there but you have to work your butt off to get them.. The weigh in will be mostly lakers but whoever can find a couple off fish or one big laker will take the money home.... Good luck and see ya out there Sunday. ..

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

They have a Facebook page with all info on that. You have to be a member to fish the tourny. Iron duke should have sign up info. They meet 2nd Wed of every month, at Watkins elks club. 7 o clock, I believe. You can attend a meeting to become a member, or pm iron duke.

Good luck to everyone Sunday!

Jason.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

DEC stocks brown trout and landlock salmon in Keuka, but the over population of lake trout eat almost all of them.

This is one of the reasons that the laker limit was raised to 5.

The stockings are so unsuccessful that DEC is considering stocking the landlocks and browns in another lake where they would have some sort of angler return.

A FLTA member, who does charters on Keuka, reported in his angler cooperator diary catching 951 lakers, 17 rainbows, 6 landlocks (all small ones),and 0 browns. He fished a total of 126 days last year!!! (Not counting his Florida trips where he spends each Winter).

So, if you're looking for off fish in Keuka, you're looking for maybe 1 fish out of 100, and it is almost certain to be a rainbow.

I agree with you. Its been that way there for years, gonna take years for it to change, im sure. Personally, I haven't fished it in about 6 yrs, but its the same as I remember it. 3 trips there this year now.

As far as 5 Lakers to a limit, the way I read the rules is 5 in combination, on all finger lakes. First sentence saying " in combination". I believe you can have 4 and a rainbow, but not 5 of anything. We were having that debate just before I read your post.

They do limit some of the species you can take in what follows "5 in combination", so if they wanted the limit on lakers to be less than 5 I think it would be spelled out like the other fish.  "No more than..."  

Maybe im wrong. Ive been known to be, but unless there is a supplement issue to the one I have, combination would be the key word.

Changed a year or two ago! Seneca, Keuka, and Canandaigua your five fish limit can be 5 Lakers or 5 browns if you have a combination of fish no more than 5 total one being a rainbow, or three salmon. Like Jason said if you go east to Cayuga or Owasco its like it used to be three Lakers in your combo only. They did it in this region to try and cut back on Lakers to give the other trout and salmon a chance. Now for a FLTA tourney you can't use five Lakers even on Keuka or Seneca. Sean

I was just looking at the regs for the tribs........... :envy: ... :puke: ..... I bought into the DEC lowering the rainbows from 5 down to 1 didn't agree 100% from going to 1, thought well it must be REAL bad seems like 3 first then one if it didn't help , if they want to do this to improve the rainbow fishing so be it...... BUT on the tribs you can take 3 !!!!! What >>>>> !!!!!!!....... can someone explain that ?????..... I hope I read it wrong !!!!

For Seneca and all the lakes tributaries west of it - 3 in combination but it specifies "no more than  one rainbow may be taken"

I was just looking at the regs for the tribs........... :envy: ... :puke: ..... I bought into the DEC lowering the rainbows from 5 down to 1 didn't agree 100% from going to 1, thought well it must be REAL bad seems like 3 first then one if it didn't help , if they want to do this to improve the rainbow fishing so be it...... BUT on the tribs you can take 3 !!!!! What >>>>> !!!!!!!....... can someone explain that ?????..... I hope I read it wrong !!!!

What tribs can you take 3 bows on???

On the eastern Finger Lakes: Cayuga, Owasco and Skaneatles; the rainbow limit is 3 on the lakes and 3 in the tribs.

Many of the charters (their livelihood depends on the resource) release all of their rainbows, or restrict the take to one per trip.

Cayuga, Owasco Skaneateles, and Otisco (3 in combination).I believe Otisco only has browns though.

Edited by Sk8man

I only allow client to keep 1 rainbow per trip. The only exception is the the memorial derby. But the crew I have don't keep fish unless its over 12 lbs. They are a go big or go home empty handed crew.

I contacted DEC officer Tony Dragatta about the laker and Brown limits. I have her cell # because I nuisance trap. According to her, Bigfoot, Jason and Sean are correct. You can be in possession of 5 Lakers or 5 browns in lakes Seneca and West. The words " in combination" are confusing.