Fish finder stopped marking fish

I have a Hummingbird 788ci hd di graph and it stopped marking fish last season.I still get top and bottom definition and

can adjust settings to increase /decrease clutter, it marks the balls too, but still no fish. Any one out there with a similar

unit that could shed some light on what might be the problem? 

I could try another transducer but would hate to waste 120 bucks if that's not the problem.

Thanks guys.

I had the same thing some years back on a different and expensive brand (Impulse) and the transducer (Airmar) marked the bottom fine and hard objects but not fish whether in close or deep....turned out to be the transducer went bad.....sounds similar.

Thanks for the input guys, Looks like i'll be ordering one very soon. Been frustrating to say the least, I'll keep you posted

how it works after I swap it out.

Thanks again and best of luck this year!

I purchased a brand new 788ci the year it was made. I instantly has issues with it. Johnson outdoors was a joke in figuring out a problem. I told them it was as if a transducer was weak for various reasons, they made me send my head unit back twice. With no changes. I would be surprised if they help you out. After dealing with the issue for a season I sold the unit for half what I paid and then a month later a recall on the internal failure of the metals in the transducer. I wish you luck, but your ducer is your issue.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a Hummingbird 788ci hd di graph and it stopped marking fish last season.I still get top and bottom definition and

can adjust settings to increase /decrease clutter, it marks the balls too, but still no fish. Any one out there with a similar

unit that could shed some light on what might be the problem? 

I could try another transducer but would hate to waste 120 bucks if that's not the problem.

Thanks guys.

Did the over all color seems to fade ? The dual-beam transducer were junk as Nick said above , I went to a quad-beam and it works fine now....... mine started to fade out then would not mark much of any thing..... you could go to the main menu and re-set to all factory setting down load all new up-dates from the HB site for that unit and upload to your unit and see if that fixes it also.

Well I just installed the transducer and will drop the boat in the water this week-end.  Cost 109.00 on Amazon.

I'll let you know the verdict then. I'll either be a happy fisherman or just a pissed off, head scratchin, guy without a graph!

Still not crazy about spending another 100 bucks on a 2 year old unit that wasn't cheap to begin with.

• 4 weeks later...